PDA

View Full Version : Kalk +2

jlions
03/18/2011, 07:16 AM
I was thinking about going this route instead of doing mag separately. Anyone have any experience with it?

sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/18/2011, 07:20 AM
It won't work.

Here's my comment on kalk+2 from another thread:

Unfortunately, it is a very poorly designed product that won't work. It has very little magnesium in it, but even that will precipitate out in limewater as magnesium hydroxide.

Really, this is a pitiful product. Not enough magnesium to be useful even if it worked, and it won't work.

It is a marketing gimmick.

I show in the article linked below that bulk supplied calcium oxide and hydroxide have that amount of magnesium or more already in it.

Magnesium and Strontium in Limewater
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/dec2003/chem.htm

nanojg
03/18/2011, 07:26 AM
As always we really appreciate your input Randy. You have probably saved me hundreds of dollars over the years. Stuff like this and purple up really annoy me now!

jlions
03/18/2011, 07:28 AM
Thanks randy. That was the kind of info I was looking for. I was searching and couldn't find the other thread. Thanks for your input.

sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk

dan-in-gr
03/18/2011, 08:18 AM
I tried it and all it gave me was good cal, not perfect, very high alk and low mag, like the other person above had. Best to do them separate, I like BRS supply 2 part (weird name, its actually cal, alk & mag) or three parts. Works like a charm.

kbobling
10/26/2013, 12:15 PM
Hi,
Sort of late to the discussion. I am using Kalk+2 and measured it to have high phosphate (Hanna checker). Has anybody else noticed this with Kalk+2. I noticed Randy's comments and article. Is their another suggestion for dosing. I just add the Kalk to my Tunze ATO?
Thanks!