PDA

View Full Version : starting first reef 30 gal

knights27
03/18/2011, 08:07 AM
im starting my first reef in a 30 gal i have a 30 gal tank
i have a aquatic life internal mini skimmer, 150watt metal halide and a maxi jet power head on the tank and i have a mated pair of black and white occs in the tank might now and suggestions to ad? i want a healthy reef. please add suggestions and on the skimmer it is putting off some micro bubbles and way to stop it from doing that?

ange062
03/18/2011, 08:14 AM
You have two clowns in a brand new tank? My suggestion is to not add anything until it cycles, don't even worry about the equipment yet just take a step back to the basics.

knights27
03/18/2011, 08:32 AM
the water has cycled all ready. i have had it runing for a couple months. i had a 55gal just fish aqurium i down sized to a 30 gal couple months ago and i decided i want to do a reef

GF3
03/18/2011, 09:23 AM
First step i think i would handle going fowlr to reef would be to sort thru your cleanup crew and evict any tennants that wouldn't be classified reef safe.

Other than that, if you mix your own water, switch to a reef salt mix.

Start with easy hardy corals like the rest of us new to reef setups, zoo polyps, hammer and frogspawn, trumpets (candycane), mushrooms and leathers all seem to be the easiest to start with and more forgiving. Plus these will grow fairly quick, so small frags go a long way for your dollar!

This is just from my experience also recently starting my own first reef tank, I'm sure a lit of others will have many other opinions for you as well.

Best of luck with your new soon to be reef tank!

preef40
03/18/2011, 04:02 PM
Lets see some pics please