PDA

View Full Version : What's Up With My Red Sponge?

Mister_Palmer
03/18/2011, 07:02 PM
First, I assume that it's not a good thing that it's turning white.
Is there anything that can be done at this point?
I've had it for about 3 weeks, and when I bought it there were a few very small white marks on it already.

I probably shouldn't have bought it once I saw those...

Second, what are these little yellow polyp looking things coming off of it?
I didn't notice them until today, but that doesn't mean they weren't always there...
Some kind of worm? Or is it normal

I've never bought a sponge, so I'm kind of in the dark.

Thanks.

http://i52.*******.com/2h2m3xx.jpg
http://i55.*******.com/2iixxmw.jpg

SparseReef
03/18/2011, 07:15 PM
I'm not positive about the sponge, but if it's changing color that doesn't seem like a good thing. Hopefully someone with more experience can help you out with that. As for the yellow things, I'm pretty sure those are yellow polyps that are coming from your rock of them to the left of the sponge. They will detach and reattach to other rocks, but given that they're really small it seems likely that they're young polyps that split off from the parents and floated over. I'd keep an eye on them, since the spong might not do too well if it's completely covered by the polyps. The sponge takes in water from all over its body, so the more area that's covered, the worse off it'll be. Good luck!

slapshot
03/18/2011, 07:15 PM
That is not good. I think it is gone.

Mister_Palmer
03/18/2011, 07:18 PM
I kind of thought they might be the yellow polyps, but the YPs are basically brand new to the tank.
I thought it too quick for them to spread that fast.

It does look like it though.

I'm thinking it's gone as well... Should I just take it out, or attempt to do something with it?

Bongo Shrimp
03/19/2011, 06:57 PM
The yellow polyps are symbiotic to the sponge. If the sponge goes, they do too.

philter4
03/21/2011, 10:28 PM
Bongo Shrimp is correct, the yellow polyps are dependent on the sponge, they are found in many different species of sponges. As far as the white on the sponge, that usually happens because of incorrect collecting methods or handling right after they are collected. If they are exposed to air after collection the air pockets eventually kill the sponge. They usually show up as white areas at the tips but quickly spread to the rest of the animal and kill the sponge. If the spots are small you can sometimes cut the effected areas out and save the sponge but this has to be done at the first signs and can't be done at the point of the photo.