PDA

View Full Version : red planet same as ********** red acro?

NVfishman
03/18/2011, 07:52 PM
I have 4 small colonies of red planet from different people. I got a frag of frag farmer red table from WT they growing out and look pretty similar, Also have one of Rommels red acros looks almost the same as well. Any insight on this?

Do I have 6 red planets in a sense then?

MammothReefer
03/18/2011, 08:16 PM
Let em touch for a quick way to find out.

saltygeek
03/19/2011, 06:18 AM

Good answer, dont think I would have thought of that!

GhostCon1
03/19/2011, 08:31 AM

Wouldn't that only work if they were from the same mother colony? Otherwise they are just going to sting each other (digest, chemicals, whatever lol).

Sullyman
03/19/2011, 01:20 PM
Red planet is just a tabling red mille, the right name can sell a lot of coral, lol. I wouldn't put them next to each other but rather a part, let them grow out a bit, pick the one you like and trade or sell the others but sooner than later, before threads like this bring the value down, lol.

MammothReefer
03/19/2011, 01:37 PM
Red Planet a milli, are you sure about that?

MammothReefer
03/19/2011, 01:39 PM
Wouldn't that only work if they were from the same mother colony? Otherwise they are just going to sting each other (digest, chemicals, whatever lol).

Eh, not always, and if they are all red planets then they all in theory are from the same source either the guy who sold it to ora where it became red planet, or from ora. Either way it's a quick way to find out and if you don't do it for 2 long there won't be much damage, a little spec will re-grow back quick maybe even start a growth spurt if you are lucky :)

Sullyman
03/19/2011, 01:49 PM
It's A Hiathinsus(mis-spelled) but I had one that took on too many other corals at once and wasn't winning. It was a big colony and I had large frags of it for a few months, everyone thought it was red planet, a lot of grn in the base. I've had the colony for 5 years maybe more, before there was a red planet at ORA. This coral likes to table upwards.

NVfishman
03/19/2011, 02:08 PM
Cool thanks I will have to try touch method. I will probally let them grow alittle and put on 20k lights see if makes a difference. Then its off to chop and see what happens if no noticable difference.

Nanook
03/19/2011, 08:05 PM
[moved]

Brian Chong
03/22/2011, 05:06 AM
I believe the red planet could be a a. hyacinthus. acros can look different under different lighting. I know rommel uses all t5 lighting and a local reefer has a red planet that developed bright orange tips under xm 10k mh.