PDA

View Full Version : Tunze skimmer 9011 noise issues!

Jerokane
03/19/2011, 04:35 AM
Hi,

I installed the 9011 doc skimmer in the display tank since yesterday and it's running in nicely, already pulling in skimmate.

But as we got a small appartment, the noise is a real issue right now.

I read the forums and found some Info to reduce the vibration of the pump by putting filter watten around the pump, which I did and it helped somewhat.

But I still got this loud boiling and sissing noise. Is this due to the running in and will dissapear over the coming days?
I really hope so, as we just can't have this kind of noise, as it's driving us (especially my gf) nuts!

Regards,

Guillermo

Jerokane
03/19/2011, 05:57 AM
EDIT: humming noise from the pump is still there. So the stuffing with filter watten didn't seem to help much /sigh

rvitko
03/21/2011, 09:10 AM
Is it a humming or a boiling/hissing noise? The causes are very different so this is an important distinction. A hum would be from pump vibration being transmitted, to solve this I need to know if you have it sitting on the sump floor or if you have it mounted with the magnet holders.

A boiling/hissing noise means something is not assembled correctly and the internal water level is too low or too high.

Jerokane
03/21/2011, 11:55 AM
Is it a humming or a boiling/hissing noise? The causes are very different so this is an important distinction. A hum would be from pump vibration being transmitted, to solve this I need to know if you have it sitting on the sump floor or if you have it mounted with the magnet holders.

A boiling/hissing noise means something is not assembled correctly and the internal water level is too low or too high.

It's both really. Pump vibrating and the boiling/hissing noise.

I have it mounted in the display with the magnet holder. And placed it so the water level is at the mark.

rvitko
03/21/2011, 12:12 PM
Make sure the rubber bumpons were installed on the magnet holders. It should be installed as delivered without the standpipe, solid bottom plate or coupler that were extra in the box. Raise the skimmer roughly .25-.5" this should eliminate most of the hiss and boiling noise if the cup is properly seated and level.

The vibration will reduce over time, the bumpons on the magnet holder and making sure the cup is not touching the tank will go a long way to reducing this, also make sure the pump is properly seated, the nozzle should be inserted in the clear jet pipe in the skimmer as far as it will go. When in all the way the bottom plate should not touch the pump.

Jerokane
03/21/2011, 12:20 PM
Make sure the rubber bumpons were installed on the magnet holders. It should be installed as delivered without the standpipe, solid bottom plate or coupler that were extra in the box. Raise the skimmer roughly .25-.5" this should eliminate most of the hiss and boiling noise if the cup is properly seated and level.

The vibration will reduce over time, the bumpons on the magnet holder and making sure the cup is not touching the tank will go a long way to reducing this, also make sure the pump is properly seated, the nozzle should be inserted in the clear jet pipe in the skimmer as far as it will go. When in all the way the bottom plate should not touch the pump.

You mean the bottom plate with maze? Otherwise the water cannot exit.

I used the rubber bompons and the pump is firmly seated. Especially since I also stuffed some filter watten (wool) on the sides of the pump, which reduced the vibration a little bit.

Raising the skimmer a little bit doesn't make the hissing/boiling sound go away. Will it go away when it's properly run in? As I still do not get any foam yet.

rvitko
03/21/2011, 01:52 PM
The bottom plate that has the slots in it yes. How long has it been running, double check that the cup is centered in the hole, on the sides of the tube that goes into the skimmer are four tabs, it is possible that you have the cup off center so 1 or two of these tabs are outside the hole the cup sits in, that will result in noise and poor performance.

Jerokane
03/21/2011, 02:08 PM
The bottom plate that has the slots in it yes. How long has it been running, double check that the cup is centered in the hole, on the sides of the tube that goes into the skimmer are four tabs, it is possible that you have the cup off center so 1 or two of these tabs are outside the hole the cup sits in, that will result in noise and poor performance.

Yes the cup is fully in and makes a strong vibrating noise.

When I hold the cup with my hands and/or lift it up slightly, so it doesn't make contact, then the vibrating noise virtually dissapears.

So it seems the pump is vibrating too much still. :confused:

rvitko
03/21/2011, 03:49 PM
I think we have checked everything, my best suggestion is to run the pump for 2 weeks and see if it doesn't improve, they usually do substantially as the parts seat and wear in. If there is no improvement I would send in the skimmer and we will replace whatever is necessary to quiet it down.