PDA

View Full Version : Supplemements? Reef Roids? I am thinking of turning to the dark side

200mfromocean
03/19/2011, 08:38 AM
I have been at reefing for more than 4 years and have had moderate success with my mixed reef. I do 10% water changes on my 160 g system almost every week and have just started biopellets a few months ago. I also do a bit of fragging of SPS LPS s softies you name it.

With the dearth of companies offering supplements such as amino acids, what has been the most beneficial? Or not a waste of money?

Percula9
03/19/2011, 09:48 AM
I think good water quality and feed once in a while is your best bet. Feeding provides actual whole proteins not parts(amino acids).

bertoni
03/19/2011, 04:32 PM
No one knows which ones are best. There's a lot of variables. If you feed a good coral food (or fish food), that might be enough, for example.

200mfromocean
03/20/2011, 08:43 AM
Thanks guys. A respected reefer at a LFS that was running a couple 1000 gallons said that supplements are "helpers". Of course he is not going to say the stuff he is selling is BS, or anyone that is getting royalties for having their name on something is snake oil. The problem is that it is difficult to prove if it is snake oil. Nonetheless, I may give it a shot.

As a matter of fact, I am have just switched back to PE mysis & Nori. I like it because the PE b/C of its high% of protein and does not make a mess all over my tank. In other words, 90% gets pooped.