PDA

View Full Version : Salifert Tests Cheat Sheet

terahz
03/19/2011, 12:46 PM
I don't know about other people, but after reading the instructions on the tests, all I wanted on subsequent readings was: how much of what to add and what color change to expect. Then the table/color chart to do the measurements.

The second part is easy, but the first part is usually in half a page of text so I put together this one page "cheat sheet" that I have laminated and mounted on the inside of my cabinet door under the tank.

I figured there must be at least one person out there that might find this useful so I'm sharing it.

Few notes:
- This is only for people who have already read the full instructions and cautions.
- This is not a replacement for your color charts as printing the sheet can (and probably will) alter the colors.
- I've reduced the table ranges to the salt water useful ranges (at least for me) so that I can it all on the page.
- I had a little space left on the bottom right, so I added the flatworm eXit info as well. Please, please, please read the full instructions for flatworm eXit if you plan to use it in your DT!

http://joro.geodar.com/images/aquarium/tests/Salifert%20Cheat%20Sheet%20v0.1.pdf

RenoR1
03/19/2011, 01:09 PM
appreciate the work, but mg and calc seem too condensed. one might ask "how much of the #3 reagent?" There is detail for other parts of the instructions, this should be there too.

Also, The values start too high. What if a person is testing calc and only have 370? or mg of 1200? (they were out of town, busy, underdosed, havnt tested in a while, etc.)

RenoR1
03/19/2011, 01:12 PM
Realized that might be read with an underlying tone. It was not typed with one. I do appreciate the work! and will be printing them for myself...

terahz
03/19/2011, 01:27 PM
Appreciate the feedback. I didn't notice any bad tone so no worries.

I see your point about the Mg and Ca tables. The ranges are good for my tank at the moment, that's what I've based them off of. I can certainly shift the tables a bit. What range do you think would work for you?

As for "how much of the reagent", I think it is common knowledge for anyone who has used the tests before. You fill the syringe with 1ml and start dropping until the color change. Then measure how much is left in it. It is the standard way of Salifert Alk, Mg and Cal tests, that's why I omitted it.

RenoR1
03/19/2011, 01:51 PM
Gotcha.

Calc 380 and up?
MaG 1100 and up? Not sure how much space those would take up tho.

terahz
03/19/2011, 02:04 PM
Cal is already 330 and up :) Mag will ad a bit of space, but I can remove the flatworm exit entry. Will play a bit with in.

fcmatt
03/19/2011, 02:31 PM
i would be worried that one day you buy a new kit, do not read the new directions, and are not
doing the test correctly due to the old cheat sheet.

salifert's directions have changed in the past.. and I assume will change again some day.

just throwing that out there.

terahz
03/19/2011, 02:52 PM
That's a valid point fcmatt. It would be up to the person to check if the instructions match in any new tests they get. My current tests are more than year and a half old and still have some in them :)

I realized that I made the Mg table with 0.01 steps. The original instructions are 0.02 steps so I changed it back to 0.02 and now the Mg range is 990 - 1500.

http://joro.geodar.com/images/aquarium/tests/Salifert%20Cheat%20Sheet%20v0.2.pdf