PDA

View Full Version : Frogspawn light/flow???

sn4265
03/19/2011, 02:40 PM
We have a couple frogspawns in our tank and one is flourishing while the other has already lost one head and the other is not looking so great. They are a different kind of frogspawn from each other and we placed them at opposite ends of the tank. They are at about the same height from the bottom, so I think they are getting about the same amount of light. The one difference of note is that the one doing not so well looked to be in a higher flow area than the one that is doing great. This morning I moved the problem one to waht I think is a lower flow area with maybe a bit better light.

Any other suggestions?

The one other oddity is that we got a GSP frag that took off. In the past week or two, the oldest section of the GSP has pretty much withered. This is the lowest and most sheltered section of the coral that is kind of in a nook in the rock. Everything up across the top of the rock looks to be doing great and continuing to grow.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

MCCOOL
03/19/2011, 02:52 PM
The frogspawn will definitely do better in lower flow.

kfisc
03/19/2011, 02:55 PM
Several ideas: frog spawn, torch corals and the like do not thrive in lateral, too-high flow; I've seen them come back and thrive once moved. GSP, on the other hand, does well in fairly vigorous flow- not blasted, but strong, and it likes moderate light.

Any chance your bulbs need replacing as well?

syrinx
03/19/2011, 02:56 PM
Indeed. Just enough flow to gently sway the tents and bring food to them is all they want.

sn4265
03/19/2011, 04:24 PM
OK. Hopefully moving the one that is not doing so well will help it out. Guess we'll just have to wait and see how it does over the coming weeks.

The GSP is getting pretty good flow over the portion that is thriving. The portion that has withered had much of it's flow blocked by the rock that it's on.