PDA

View Full Version : using spirit instead of vodka?

Isayso
03/19/2011, 05:27 PM
HI there!
the title says it all..
I have been using the VSVG VtC. for over a year and I love it..
One day my B.in-law asked me why vodka and not just pure spirit.it is way cheaper and pure...:rolleyes: well I dunno I said..

My question here to you all expert and not is...
is Ok to use the pure spirit from the liqueur store?
thank in advance

bertoni
03/19/2011, 06:07 PM
If you mean something like EverClear, that should be fine. What product do you have in mind?

tmz
03/20/2011, 10:28 AM
Any pure ethanol product should be fine. Don't know what pure spirit is? Obviously, you'll have to account for lower/higher dilution in calculating dosing amounts. 80 proof vodka is 40% ethanol and 60% water.

Isayso
03/20/2011, 02:06 PM
thanks guys!
you both answered the question with good answers

personally havent seen the spirit at the store but my B in Law knows it
they use this to make home made Grappa,
it is pure ethanol dunno the proof I gotta to go check the store in person
thanks again will let you know when I have it
cheers

Eastamherstbias
03/20/2011, 02:13 PM
I vote you avoid the "spirits" and just use GFO. I tried the vodka fad and ended up with red slime everywhere. Stopped vodka, it went away. Paid the money for a Little Fishes 150 with Bulk Reef Supplies GFO and have not looked back since.

tmz
03/20/2011, 02:20 PM
Well. this isn't a vodka thread but I've dosed it for over two years with very good results.Gfo is a good pO4 reducer but won't do anything for No3, nitrates.

tmz
03/20/2011, 02:22 PM
Isayso,
You are welcome. Good luck and enjoy your aquarium.

Isayso
03/20/2011, 02:27 PM
I vote you avoid the "spirits" and just use GFO. I tried the vodka fad and ended up with red slime everywhere. Stopped vodka, it went away. Paid the money for a Little Fishes 150 with Bulk Reef Supplies GFO and have not looked back since.

I m really happy with the results
its not just VSV that I m using but a different mix VGSV wit Vit C.
and I love it I do use the mdia to remove PO4...
I have 90 G tank 14 fishes corals and not a single sign of cyano I do over dose sometimes too
this is an old video now it looks even better
check it out ..:wave:

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mY3_Dd_tbxc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mY3_Dd_tbxc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

jamgar
03/20/2011, 03:58 PM
If it is pure ethynol the proof is 200