PDA

View Full Version : Black and Orange Percs officially tied the knot

sbabs
03/19/2011, 09:50 PM
Guess I need to read up more on how to successfully breed clowns. I know this is pass 1, and surely by morning the eggs will probably be gone, but I'm also guessing this will become more frequent. Kind of exciting, my nine year old is really jazzed.

I received this pair from a friend a while back, and the orange grew a lot in the past 6 months. Tonight I came home to acclimate a powder blue, and noticed the clowns swimming with a little more purpose between their two favorite nems, and the black would not leave the area. Looked a little closer, and noticed a little orange patch. Looks just like the salmon roe at the sushi bars, but I did not feed any of that this week, so I can only deduce that my orange and black have decided it's time to start a family.

I only hope I can get the process down now. I have a friend who tried and failed. Had the fry isolated in another tank, but it did not work out. I have a 6 gallon semi octagon shaped tank that I will try to mod to see if it can work. I have read that round is best. I wonder if anyone's modifed a 5 gallon bucket for the job.

Ross33
03/19/2011, 11:29 PM
awesome! have any pics?

Tron87
03/20/2011, 05:19 PM
OMG, tell you what. If you can raise the little ones. I am ready to buy one.
How is that for incentive?

Save the oceans, enjoy your hobby and make a little cash in the process.
Are they "True" Percula's for sure? Or Occilarius?

jbax
03/20/2011, 08:14 PM
i would read this book
clownfishes by joyce d. wilkerson

these are my babies, born 9/17/10
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid27.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fc174%2Fmtange1%2FVIDEO0004.mp4">

it's not easy. just like newborn baby

sbabs
03/27/2011, 10:59 PM
OMG, tell you what. If you can raise the little ones. I am ready to buy one.
How is that for incentive?

Save the oceans, enjoy your hobby and make a little cash in the process.
Are they "True" Percula's for sure? Or Occilarius?

And I would be happy to deliver to Long Beach. I used to live near you and need to get out to see friends soon.

The eggs were gone the next morning. I am hoping we'll see another round soon. Guessing the parents are new and all. This is good though, I need to paint the bedroom and all for the kids. :) Really though, I need to start practicing my rotifer culturing before I can work this out. Have a decent tank for the first round I think. Should be fun.

My youngest boy was pretty jazzed.

sbabs
03/27/2011, 11:00 PM
i would read this book
clownfishes by joyce d. wilkerson

these are my babies, born 9/17/10
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid27.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fc174%2Fmtange1%2FVIDEO0004.mp4">

it's not easy. just like newborn baby

Awesome video. How big are those guys now? Hard to tell, but they look like they are happy kiddos. !

Samcro
03/27/2011, 11:28 PM
if you are gonna try to raise them then i would wait and let like 3 to 5 clutches go. the first few are not good and will produce bad offspring. use this to determine their laying schedule. fatten them up by feeding them 3x a day or more if you can and different foods. in a few weeks get all your hatching equip ready and then try.
good time to get them great foods like mysis and other fresh foods to get the good lipids and protiens into their diet to produce beautiful offspring.

i got a 10g with 100 rods onyx babies on day 8 now and they are awesome. i got a monster nest hatching tuesday too. i'll be busy.

sbabs
03/28/2011, 06:37 AM
if you are gonna try to raise them then i would wait and let like 3 to 5 clutches go. the first few are not good and will produce bad offspring. use this to determine their laying schedule. fatten them up by feeding them 3x a day or more if you can and different foods. in a few weeks get all your hatching equip ready and then try.
good time to get them great foods like mysis and other fresh foods to get the good lipids and protiens into their diet to produce beautiful offspring.

i got a 10g with 100 rods onyx babies on day 8 now and they are awesome. i got a monster nest hatching tuesday too. i'll be busy.

Thanks for the advice. I will take that. I just ordered the ClownFishes book listed above, been looking for a good deal on it for a long time. Finally found it for 40.00. WOOHOO!

I feed the guys a variance of meat, including mysis, flake, and a combo of chopped rinsed seafood, clams, scallops, and fish eggs. I'm thinking of putting the parents in their own tank.

WaffleWalffle22
03/28/2011, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will take that. I just ordered the ClownFishes book listed above, been looking for a good deal on it for a long time. Finally found it for 40.00. WOOHOO!

I feed the guys a variance of meat, including mysis, flake, and a combo of chopped rinsed seafood, clams, scallops, and fish eggs. I'm thinking of putting the parents in their own tank.

If you move them it will disrupt their breeding cycle and they won't lay eggs again for at least a month, but normally around two or three months. If you want to rear multiple batches of their babies then it might be a good idea to move them to a tank all on their own.

jbax
03/28/2011, 10:40 PM
Awesome video. How big are those guys now? Hard to tell, but they look like they are happy kiddos. !

roughly a "1 and yes they are happy and always hungry.