PDA

View Full Version : what would you guys do?

Ethan Music
03/20/2011, 12:30 PM
Well woke up today to feed my fish and spotted a puddle next to my stand so wiped it up and 3 secs later another puddle formed. Went straight under my stand to check plumbing, bulkheads,and all nothing was wet but a 1 inch puddle under around my bashsea bio-fuge sump. Tank was setup for about 4 months put over 3 thousand dollars into it and had to take it down today with the help of my mom got the livestock to my lfs that I trust but left with a damaged stand maybe wood floor. 95% sure it was the sump nothing else was wet my rock has no were to go so it will dry out. Pretty much have to start from square one. Thinking about starting it back up but just bought an apex and other stuff don't now if my dad will like all the stuff sitting in are basement for the next week atleast. Sad day was looking forward to programming my controller and ended up taking it all down....

emailed bashsea so I will see what they will do probably nothing but hope they have the heart to do something.

noahm
03/20/2011, 12:40 PM
Can't you just fix the leak and set it back up? Not being sarcastic, just curious.

dianezoo
03/20/2011, 12:52 PM
Hope they replace it for you. doubt any damage can be compensated. If its your parents wood floor, I hope they love reefs too.
I'd keep my rock and some sand alive in a rubbermade tub or bin with water pumpt to circulate it. Ive even used a HOB filter running for circulation. There wasnt anyway to cap off your sump and keep the tank running? I feel bad for you just getting started and this!!
D

Ethan Music
03/20/2011, 01:07 PM
Only problem with the leak was it came from the sump so in order to get it out had to take the tank down because the sump is to long to go through the doors at an angle. My mom was starting to get into it my dad is a reefer in a way. Big thing is money the stand Im not going to reuse there was just way to much water in it and the last thing I want is to set it up and 8 months down the road have problems. For the most part we got it all down have fans blowing where the stand was. Plumbing had to cut it apart because it was all hard plumbed plan to plumb it diffrent next time though. Atleast this time I can start a build thread i guess lol. Only thing I really need is a stand, plumbing parts and a new sump hopefully they fix it or give me my cash back. Going to let the floor air out and maker sure its fine before I even set it back up if I do. I was starting to like my tank to lol everything was doing great in a month or 2 was going to add my first coral this hobby can go from being a 10 to a 1 in secs lol. Well if you guys care I will let you know what happens and if my parents don't mind I will start over and turn this into a build thread.

My guess the leak was in the back left corner thats were most the water started to come from and instead of waiting for him to replace the sump or get another and try to plug the hole or close off my overflow. We just deicided to drain it would have had to at some point to get the old sump out. If I can get my money back and give him the sump I will just buy a 40b. If not I don't mind him trying to repair it or replace it with a new one because it was awesome sump don't know why it decided to leak know. I just hope he doesn't say oh well it could have been cause by this or this and have to go thorugh all that.

Ethan Music
04/02/2011, 07:01 PM
Well Turns out my lfs and the builder aren't on good terms and the builder says people have told him that employees of the store have tampered with his products and I was on the receiving end of one of them. But none the less he fixed my sump and also upgraded and modded my pump for my skimmer which improved its performance by 24% which is cool. I gotta say his shop is really nice and I can't see him selling a defected sump like mine. I will be getting the stand at the end of this week probably and will start a build thread with pictures.

KafudaFish
04/02/2011, 07:23 PM
Years ago I had a 55 fall over in my bed room.

Our home owners insurance covered new carpet and $400 worth of ruined shoes but not any of the aquarium items.

Marinworld
04/02/2011, 10:49 PM
Classic example why you should always make sure that whatever you put in your stand can be removed out the doors of the stand. Not making fun of your situation. Empathize your ordeal.

Best of Luck

mgraf
04/03/2011, 05:59 AM
Yeah, thats how we learn, many times, the hard way!

tkeracer619
04/03/2011, 08:26 AM
Sounds pretty ridiculous that someone selling someones product to their customers would "tamper" with it. How do you tamper with a sump? Suck the weldon back out of the joints or cut the silicone? I don't get it but glad he fixed it for you.

Ethan Music
04/03/2011, 02:56 PM
There was a mark in the middle of the sump caused by someone moving it and hitting something or someone purposley hitting it with something like a light scribe. Will post pictures when I get a chance. Just don't see them building it and letting it go like this with the custom tanks and sumps I seen in their shop and the way they handle this situation. Yea did learn this one the hard way lol my new stand will not have a center support so I can take the sump in and out. If I can not find one I will do a diy stand if I can get the tools.