PDA

View Full Version : Hofer Gurgle Buster

pitbull1
03/20/2011, 12:40 PM
Can anyone give me detailed plans on installing one of these on a lifereef dual overflow box. The box is up and running with no problems except gurgling noises. I've tried the airline tubing trick with little success. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

999SCUBA
03/20/2011, 04:56 PM
I have 3 of the Lifereef box's. One of the 3 is a double box. I am very pleased with them. Mine also make a gurgle sound on 2 of the drain's. What I did was place a ball valve in line just below the exit of the 2 drains that where making the noise. On one the resistance of the water going through the valve even with the valve all the way open caused enough back pressure on the drain inside the box that it stopped the noise. The other I had to close the valve just a smiggin to get the same effect. I have not noticed any decreased flow but admit that their most likly is at leats some.
A side banifit to this is I am able to balance the flow out of all 4 of the dains this way.

Hope this helps

gary faulkner
03/20/2011, 06:40 PM
http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/HGB_construction.html

HTH

Oh and

[welcome]

pitbull1
03/21/2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks guys for your input. Really appreciate it. I told you I tried the air tube trick. The problem was, from what I could see is that the regular air line was to small for the flow to act as an air vent. I cut some 1/2 inch tubing and ran them down the drains only about a quarter of the way and secured them. Complete silence! I also cut a cover for the lifereef overflow out of left over acrylic. This also helped a lot. Thanks again for your time.

ryeguyy84
06/23/2011, 12:17 PM
so you made a cover for the overflow... do you have any pictures? I was thinking of doing the same thing.