PDA

View Full Version : Can soemone ID please

melissasreef
03/21/2011, 01:08 PM
I purchased this Zoa rock about 8 months ago. At the time it had a couple of these brown round polyps with short tenticles on the rock with the zoas. I tried to find a pic of when I first brought it home, but truely the brown polyps were so small they can't be seenin the pic. As you can see with the picture attached they have grown and multiplied. I would like to know what they are. I think they might be a type of mushroom, but I am not sure. They are now spreading and some are jumping off the rock to other rocks. I even hsve a couple that are sticking to the glass. I tried to attch more picture, but the uploader keeps saying that the upload failed. If anyone can tell me what they are I would appreciate it.
Thank you

melissasreef
03/24/2011, 08:52 PM
Still looking for an id for these round brown things. They are spreading and getting bigger. I know they are a coral. Just would like to know what it is. Also, how much more it might grow and spread, thank you!

SushiGirl
03/24/2011, 08:59 PM
Search majano & see if that's what it is.
If not, search star polyps & see if that's what it is.

I can't really tell anything from the angle of the pic, can't even tell if it's growing on a mat (star polys) or not.

JustinM
03/25/2011, 06:22 AM
Yeah kind of looks like GSP

jdhuyvetter
03/25/2011, 05:01 PM
I'm going with mojanos

melissasreef
03/25/2011, 06:47 PM
Thank you to those who took a look and replied! It definatly is not star polyps. I have had star polyps and I know the "carpet" they grow on. I believe the Id Of majano is correct. I googled that and the immages of the brown ones look like what is in my tank. I read that Joes's juices is a way to rid of these. Are they really that bad? I can see where thay are crowding my zoa's and may want to get rid of some there, but a few have traveled to places that are not around anything else in the tank. Do i need to get rid of all of them. DO some people keep these? Also, does the spreading of them signal a bigger issue with the tank I should be looking at? Just wondering.

seapug
03/25/2011, 09:19 PM
definitely majanos. They can actually be quite pretty but they will take over and kill everything in the tank. Literally. I prefer Aiptasia X over Joes Juice, but whatever you use, do it sooner than later.

Katesreef
03/25/2011, 10:31 PM
Aiptasia X is my friend. I hate manjanos! Zap them now or you will hate them too!

SushiGirl
03/25/2011, 10:41 PM
Yes, they're that bad. They won't just crowd out corals, they'll sting them. They're anemones.