PDA

View Full Version : under skimming

biecacka
03/21/2011, 04:19 PM
question.......i have a 220 and i bought an old euro reef skimmer used and was under the impression that it would work on my tank. turns out about 2yrs later(current) when i was wondering if my feed pump was big enough for the skimmer i find out the skimmer itself isnt big enough for my tank. it is softy lps tank and i know they dont "mind" a little dirtier water than sps so to speak.
my question is how much damage can be done by undersized skimmers.......i know ppl say you can "over skim" but is "under skimming" that bad for for a tank that can get by on dirtier water???
i see on this site from time to time about ppl who need larger skimmers for their set ups or dont use skimming at all and i thought with if they can NOT SKIM then why cant others underskim?
corey

nanojg
03/21/2011, 04:26 PM
If you dont have a nutrient problem then you dont have an under skimming problem.

biecacka
03/21/2011, 04:44 PM
i agree. i was just skimming(no pun intended) thru the forums and seen what are all the big tank owners using as skimmers etc
corey

Sk8r
03/21/2011, 05:03 PM
As long as the corals are happy and growing, it's doing what it needs to. Mine is underpowered, too, though it's a 120 working on a 54 gallon.

jwoyshnar
03/21/2011, 06:14 PM
I believe in underskimming. My 180 will have a skimmer rated for a 125. Ive had alot of success with this theory with my lps/softy tank. I do also have several sps also. Im just not a big fan of them. (sps that is)

biecacka
03/21/2011, 07:27 PM
i agree i use a skimmer that was bought used and was led to believe it would work on my 220. its been modded so i never seen others like it to compare its size capabalities. but i sent a pic of it other day to euro reef(reef dynamics) and based on its looks its rated for 125 gallon tank AT best. never had a real issue w nitrates until now. but it is due to needing to replace my membrane and what not for my ro/di unit. not so much the skimmer itself
corey

Typlus5
03/21/2011, 07:44 PM
Is there anything going on in your tank leading you to believe it's not skimming enough? I agree with the other posters, as long as it's working it's ok.

viggen
03/21/2011, 09:10 PM
what model skimmer? CS80 or something like that? 6 ish in diameter & 20ish inches tall? the 12g5 model is I think the same 6ish inches but 24in tall or something like that.

I haven't had a skimmer on either of my tank for several years so I guess you could say I am under skimming. Fish are still happy..... & look about the same as they did when I ran my ER RC-500 on the tank, the fish are just bigger now.

My pumps died on the ER & I haven't replaced them. I would fill up the cup in 2-3 days with black nasty stuff.... that was on a 260g FO. I will be using that skimmer on my 210g once I order a replacement pump

biecacka
03/22/2011, 06:31 PM
viggen its 24 inches tall bout 6ish in diameter
corey

biecacka
03/23/2011, 07:23 PM
viggen so since you dont skim, how often do you feed and i assume you use rodi unit? any other practices you imply?
corey

biecacka
03/25/2011, 06:01 PM
As long as the corals are happy and growing, it's doing what it needs to. Mine is underpowered, too, though it's a 120 working on a 54 gallon.

how do you figure yours is underpowered if its rated for 120 and being used on a 54?
also could undrskimming lead to some of the particles i see "floating" around in my DT?
corey

biecacka
03/28/2011, 12:10 PM
are you guys using cheato or some sort of extra nitrate removal
corey