PDA

View Full Version : steel stand question

cidme
03/21/2011, 05:48 PM
I posted this under the steel stands thread but it has been a couple of days so I thought I would try the main forum. I am building a steel stand for a 75 gallon tank. My questions is I wanted to weld a nuts to bottom of the stand and use bolts as leveling feet. I have read mixed thoughts on this subject. The tank will be going in the basement which is a concrete slab. what are some thoughts?

kcress
03/21/2011, 10:16 PM
Bolts will rust horribly unless they're stainless. You'd be much better using those proper feet which have plating. Those feet also help deal with irregularities on the floor. Of course they greatly increase the floor loading but on concrete that's not generally a problem. Make absolutely sure you put them under all the vertical supports. Don't put them under horizontal pieces.

cidme
03/22/2011, 09:13 PM
I dont think the plated ones would hold up any better than a regular bolt. I could paint the head and greases the threads that should prevent most corrosion. I will look into stainless though.

flyyyguy
03/22/2011, 09:18 PM
nm

haha

noahm
03/28/2011, 07:51 AM
I did this with some 2 1/2" diameter nickel plated feet. 5/8" thread. I think they were like 5000 lb rating per and about $8 a piece through MSC. the actual feet have gotten rust spots on them, but the threads are fine after 3 years. Just make sure you weld the nut in securely. Drilling/filling from the side can make it easier, but I just carefully shot the MIG down the corners and filled up. Also, use stainless wire if you are welding a stainless nut to mild steel.

mitsu_matt
03/28/2011, 08:15 AM
Why really bother unless you are gonna move it. Build the stand first, if its really unlevel then worry about it. just my 2 pennies.