PDA

View Full Version : Need help with ammonia and nitrite issue.

glenns
03/21/2011, 07:42 PM
My fish inverts and much of my LR were moved to my new 50G quarantine tank Friday. Just checked water and here are the results:

Ammonia .25ppm
Nitrite .05ppm

So I just changed out 5G of water. Do I need to do a larger water change?

Live Stock:
Hippo Tang
Raccoon Butterfly
Flame Angle
Small Maroon Clown
Cleaner Shrimp
Zebra Turbo Snails

Korrine
03/21/2011, 08:48 PM
Yes you should do a larger water change matched as closely as possible with your current water. You could get some amquel or prime to detoxify the ammonia. I would do a water change and add that. How come you have nitrite? Have rock or a filter on your QT?

briankmarsh1980
03/21/2011, 09:25 PM
Definitely do a larger water change and maybe add some prime. Fish more sensitive to ammonia like your angel can die at that level and will for sure if it gets higher

glenns
03/21/2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks. Everything is closed, so Amquel will need to wait till tomorrow. And 30% is the max water I can change tonight.

I moved a bunch of rock from the DT along with 30G of water to the QT hoping this and the Remora Pro would avoid a cycle. So much for that plan.

Korrine
03/22/2011, 05:23 AM
Are you treating the fish with anything? What is your reason for QTing?

glenns
03/22/2011, 07:26 AM
Not right now. I'm replacing the LR in my DT because they are over run with TX Trash ProtoPalys. So while that cycles the fish are in the QT. And I want to wait 6+ weeks to get rid of the ich in the DT. I'll remove the LR & inverts from the QT a week or so before I move the fish back to the DT. Then I'll treat the fish to make sure they're ich free.

Korrine
03/22/2011, 07:50 AM
ok was wondering b/c rock will absorb copper and things like that which could be used for treatment.