PDA

View Full Version : shrimp dead?

plunderisley
03/22/2011, 04:32 PM
I just got a shipment in and added a little clown fish and a cleaner shrimp to my nano tank. The tank is new, but NH4 and NO2 are 0, NO3 is very low.
I added 2 frags (to the 3 I have already there) a little clown and a cleaner shrimp.
The shrimp was doing fine for a few hrs, then just turned upside down. The clown went into hiding, but now is out and doing well.
I took the shrimp out of the tank and placed it in a small bucket with the tank water and I see it is still moving it's back feet a bit from time to time.
I accommodated the livestock before adding them to the tank.

What could of happened?
Is there any hope for the little shrimp?

Sg is 1.024
Temp is 77F

smtank
03/22/2011, 04:52 PM
The tank is new basically. Inverts such as shrimp are very sensitive to swings in pH and SG.

Is this a completely cycled tank?

How did you acclimate? Shrimp, snails and starfish IMO require a longer acclimation. I am not into these hour long drip acclimations for fish, but for some sensitive inverts yes.

plunderisley
03/22/2011, 04:55 PM
The tank is new basically. Inverts such as shrimp are very sensitive to swings in pH and SG.

Is this a completely cycled tank?

How did you acclimate? Shrimp, snails and starfish IMO require a longer acclimation. I am not into these hour long drip acclimations for fish, but for some sensitive inverts yes.

Tank is cycled - it went thru the whole NH4-NO2-NO3 stage.
I also got LR and LS.

acclimate - placed bag in the water to get the temp right for about 30min then every 15min for a hr added some tank water. Shrimp seemed to handle it well. Then I netted the shrimp and placed it in the tank.

newbie916
03/22/2011, 04:58 PM
+1 Inverts tend to be sensitive to Ph and SG. They generally require drip acclimation to adjust.

If it's a new tank meaning under 2 months you should slow down before adding more corals, until you get the hang of the parameters. I just setup a new 45 gallon Tech tank and I let it cycle for 3 months before I finally transferred any livestock or corals over. I know it's tough waiting, but this hobby will get very frustrating and expensive if you learn by trial and error. Just ask questions on the forums and listen to experienced reefers. Good luck and unfortunately I don't think your shrimp will make it.

plunderisley
03/22/2011, 05:02 PM
I did a quick pH test and it is at 8.2

plunderisley
03/22/2011, 05:08 PM
+1 Inverts tend to be sensitive to Ph and SG. They generally require drip acclimation to adjust.

If it's a new tank meaning under 2 months you should slow down before adding more corals, until you get the hang of the parameters. I just setup a new 45 gallon Tech tank and I let it cycle for 3 months before I finally transferred any livestock or corals over. I know it's tough waiting, but this hobby will get very frustrating and expensive if you learn by trial and error. Just ask questions on the forums and listen to experienced reefers. Good luck and unfortunately I don't think your shrimp will make it.

Thanks
I don't plan to add anything else to the tank anytime soon.
If I did the acclimation correctly, wouldn't the sg and ph be correct?

I hope the fish will be fine :worried2:
It seems to be "happy". came out of hiding - exploring the tank and now just swimming around.

tanker
03/22/2011, 05:30 PM
In the future---All inverts are very sensitive. They (IMO) MUST be drip acclimated.

newbie916
03/22/2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks
I don't plan to add anything else to the tank anytime soon.
If I did the acclimation correctly, wouldn't the sg and ph be correct?

I hope the fish will be fine :worried2:
It seems to be "happy". came out of hiding - exploring the tank and now just swimming around.

I'm sure the clown fish will be fine. They're very tough fish and your Ph is fine at 8.2.

I would say that inverts are probably the toughest to acclimate and your Ph and SG look fine, but Ph changes depending on temp of the water, lighting, etc. It could have been that the Ph your shrimp was shipped in changed and if you acclimate normally like you do with a coral or fish it could shock them.

Enjoy your tank and all of us were new to the hobby at one time. I've only been doing this for 3 years and there's still a lot for me to learn.

plunderisley
03/22/2011, 06:05 PM
I'm sure the clown fish will be fine. They're very tough fish and your Ph is fine at 8.2.

I would say that inverts are probably the toughest to acclimate and your Ph and SG look fine, but Ph changes depending on temp of the water, lighting, etc. It could have been that the Ph your shrimp was shipped in changed and if you acclimate normally like you do with a coral or fish it could shock them.

Enjoy your tank and all of us were new to the hobby at one time. I've only been doing this for 3 years and there's still a lot for me to learn.

Thanks
The clown still seems to be doing good. He is now playing with the reflection in the corner of the tank and still exploring.
I actually had reef tanks way back in the day (6+ years ago. 150G FOWLR/LS, a few nano reef tanks and a 75gal reef..) and got out of the hobby, but decided to get back in. Guess my rushing in didn't help the shrimp :sad1: but I learned for next time.
I'll add a shrimp in a month or 2.