PDA

View Full Version : chiragra molted 4 days ago and still wont leave den

smaug1
03/23/2011, 04:33 AM
He did eat a half a krill from a feeding stick Monday. I've about given up hope he will be active again.before molting he would at least be out exploring occasionally. The only parameter that is off right now is the ph,it is around 7.9. The nitrates have cleared up with the use of ro water.what can I do to get him back on his 100 or so feet?

Gonodactylus
03/23/2011, 08:54 AM
Typically G. chiragra adults remain sealed in their cavity for 10 days to two weeks. As an extremely powerful smasher, G. chiragra must completely harden their cuticle to withstand the forces generated during a strike. This takes longer than for most other stomatopods. By trying to feed it, you are stressing it. It will come out and feed when it is ready.

JothamTheSlayer
03/23/2011, 09:54 AM
Its nice having a mantis expert kicking around this forum :)

smaug1
03/23/2011, 10:04 AM
Thanks again Roy. Hopefully I will learn how to properly care for him before I kill it with concern!

othercents
03/23/2011, 10:39 AM
I find the most useful skill a mantis lover can have is patience.

I'm not sure what other people do when their mantis starts to molt, but I restock my snails during the molt. This way when the mantis is ready to eat there are snails available. This will also let me know when the mantis is ready.

smaug1
03/23/2011, 12:25 PM
I added a bunch of redlegs yesterday!

smaug1
03/23/2011, 03:54 PM
update! I was totally prepared to just let the mantis alone and stop annoying him with my feeding prong. So,while feeding the rest of the tank a few bloodworms I saw him shoot out like a rocket after one. Whooohhooo! He is hungry,so I gave him a frozen krill and chow time was on for him. I'm a happy mantis daddy.