PDA

View Full Version : Powder Brown Tang in Hypo

travis32
03/24/2011, 06:27 AM
I love my powder brown tang. It has a great personality, it's a great eater, very active, and a bit timid. (Hides from me if I stand and watch him.)

I've grown fond of the fish... The first day I got him I put him in my QT. 2 days later he had white spots. I monitored him to make sure he ate before implementing hypo.

4-5 days after I got him, I implemented Hyposalinity treatment. I calibrated my refrac, with 35ppt solution and proceeded to bring the water down to 1.008 - 1.009.

5 weeks ago on this coming Monday I brought it down to 1.008.

The white spots disappeared, and the fish has been a trooper. It's been in a 29 gallon tank for 5 weeks... I did a 20% water change with 1.009 water to start bringing the SG up. It ended up being under 1.009 in the end.

I did the water change Monday night. (4 weeks of hypo). I decided to do one more week of hypo to make sure it's taken care of.

Well, Today, there are 5 white spots on each side of his body. 1 - 2 on his fins, and 3-4 across it's body.

Up by his head there's a worm like thing hanging off his body... SO, I'm curious. 5 weeks of hypo, everything I've read, close to 99.9% of marine ich is destroyable by hypo. So Do I have the .1 to 1 % of ich that exists, or these flukes?

I have some general cure I got from marine depot. I'm contemplating using that on the QT tank.

So, I have several questions. He's probably reaching the limit of hypo. (My understanding is fish can suffer permanent damage at around 8 weeks of hypo). Plus, he's fairly big for a 29g. I've checked ammonia, and it's still 0. So, I know the filtration is o.k.

Would I be better off getting him into my DT and giving him room to stretch his fins and maybe become less stressed to deal with flukes or whatever it is?

Or do I treat with like general in the QT. Can I use general cure while in hypo?

travis32
03/24/2011, 10:54 AM
Well, I reviewed the white spots on my tang with the white spots that my clown had.

I think it's ankor worms. Specifically most likely flukes. As one was swimming around the tangs head this morning and it was all wormy looking...

Now the question is, anyone know if I can use General cure in Hypo?

MrTuskfish
03/24/2011, 11:10 AM
IME, something that claims to cure everything, rarely cures anything. (Like General Cure) I'd use Prazi-Pro; a de-wormer. It can be used with hypo and is extremely effective and readily available.

travis32
03/24/2011, 11:59 AM
Well, the chemicals in General cure must do something. My wife researched it and it's highly hazardous to humans... (As in Fatal...) is known to cause cancern and a bunch of other issues with human contact..

So, it's gotta be pretty strong stuff. a couple reccomend general cure or prazi-pro for treatment. Prazi-pro has a derivative of what's in general cure as it's primary ingredient. General cure only claims to cure wormlike parasites. Not for Ich or other (All encompassing) cure. I couldn't find prazi-pro anywhere It's not stalked at the local fish stores, nor is any other treatment for worms. The fish stores have about 10 different brands of ich cure. (which, my understanding is that none of them actually do anything.) But, nothing for other parasites. So, My only option was online, and marine depot doesn't sell Prazi pro. I looked. The 2 or 3 places I searched I couldn't find prazi pro. And I needed other stuff that marine depot had, so I went with them.

The primary active ingredient is very similar to what's in prazipro.

snorvich
03/24/2011, 02:23 PM
IME, something that claims to cure everything, rarely cures anything. (Like General Cure) I'd use Prazi-Pro; a de-wormer. It can be used with hypo and is extremely effective and readily available.

Same here.

snorvich
03/24/2011, 02:29 PM
The 2 or 3 places I searched I couldn't find prazi pro. And I needed other stuff that marine depot had, so I went with them.

Drs. Foster and Smith or google it

Recty
03/24/2011, 03:37 PM
Just an FYI, I just ordered Prazipro a couple days ago and it's all over on Amazon, lots of different vendors there sell it.

geaux xman
03/24/2011, 10:01 PM
I have a powder brown in hypo right now too for about 5 weeks now 1.008-.009. I'm going to keep it in there for another week, then raise up the spec grav over 4-5 days(my DT will be 1.018-019). Never had any issues with ich on the fish and he eats everything with vigor.

What I did notice with my refractometer is calibrating it with NSW, it reads almost .002 higher than calibrating it with RO/DI. I decided to calibrate my refractometer with RO/DI for hypo purposes, since hypo is much closer to the RO/Di calibration.

+1 on the prazipro treatment. its too easy to do. i intend on prazipro every fish before they enter my DT.

travis32
03/25/2011, 12:27 PM
cool. yeah, I guess I don't know which is right, the pinpoint solution at 35ppt or 0tds RODI water. The difference between the two is around .001. So, at 1.008 I should be fine either way... It's been between 1.008 and 1.009 for 5 weeks. I'm going to dose general cure starting today, follow two week treatment plan, at which time, when I do the water changes, i'll raise the SG some each time to slowly bring him out..

My Display is at 1.025. so he's got a long ways to go...