PDA

View Full Version : Great book for diseases

Lynnmw1208
03/24/2011, 08:39 AM
So after reading a bunch of people's threads about ich and other diseases, I decided to post about this book that I purchased WAY before I decided to go completely saltwater. This book is really good as it states all of the most common diseases and parasites along with the best treatment methods. I really think it's a must to have for all us newbs out there!

"The Marine Fish Health & Feeding Handbook: The Essential Guide to Keeping Saltwater Species Alive and Thriving" by Bob Goemans and Lance Ichinotsubo.

By reading this book I felt I was prepared enough to take on the common diseases that come with owning fish in this hobby. I will probably read it again and again too as it's a really good book! So please give this book a thought as I think it would be most beneficial to most of us :thumbsup:

muttley000
03/24/2011, 09:50 AM
I saw this at border's the other day and thought it looked useful, but the 2 kids that were with me (4 and 6) were not going to let me look long! Is it geared toward total newbs, or will someone with more experience gain from it in your opinion?

Sk8r
03/24/2011, 11:45 AM
Here's a look at the book: has photos---good---and fairly up to date. When using a book, always counter-check here at RC to see if there is a) an update to the procedure [since the book came out] or b) an alternate opinion on technique. No sense being paralysed by doubt---but crosschecking is good if you have time. Best of all, read it and educate yourself in advance of any crisis, and learn to recognize disease when it's offered to you for sale at your lfs.

http://www.amazon.com/Marine-Fish-Health-Feeding-Handbook/dp/1890087955/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1300988449&sr=1-1

Lynnmw1208
03/24/2011, 11:49 AM
I saw this at border's the other day and thought it looked useful, but the 2 kids that were with me (4 and 6) were not going to let me look long! Is it geared toward total newbs, or will someone with more experience gain from it in your opinion?

It's actually quite a great reference book actually. I think everyone could benefit from it. I know it's hard to remember every single disease especially if it's not a common one and I just think it's pretty handy to have around the house just in case you need to know a treatment for something. Of course the first 2 sections are more for proper water conditions and so on but I think every book has that in there just in case it is someone new buying the book.