PDA

View Full Version : purewaterclub rodi; changing filters and filter size?

SteveThePharmer
03/24/2011, 09:40 AM
Hey I was wondering, since it's time for a filter change anyway, if their systems accept standard filters such as the same ones used on spectrapure and other similar systems?

Thanks, and i apologize if this has been posted already, i tried searching already :(.

RokleM
03/25/2011, 07:31 AM
I would recommend calling up one of the RO/DI experts (BuckeyeFieldSupply, BRS, etc) on here. Have your system handy (with pictures if necessary). They can probably walk you through removing all the cheap ebay garbage and getting you setup right.

Not meant to be offensive, but most of those units are trash. However, you are right, they can be retrofitted by the right people to be similar in efficiency as a quality unit.

jeff@zina.com
03/25/2011, 12:08 PM
Hey I was wondering, since it's time for a filter change anyway, if their systems accept standard filters such as the same ones used on spectrapure and other similar systems?
Why not ask them? They have a vendor forum here after all...

FWIW, the FilterGuys one's I've seen are standard sizes.

Jeff

SteveThePharmer
03/25/2011, 12:25 PM
did not know they had a vendor forum, thanks, i'll check them up. just dont think a vendor would give the go ahead and say, "yeah, it will accept filters that are better and not sold by us."

no offense taken, i do realize that this is a crappy unit but it has supported my 75g sps tank with no ill effects for 2 years.

if it aint broke dont fix it, right?

carlso63
03/25/2011, 10:11 PM
I disagree with the notion that these units are "trash"...

On the contrary, most ALL of the RO units use the same exact quality of parts like the frame, canisters, tubing, etc. The main difference is the RO membrane and the filters.

Your Purewater unit uses the same standard sized filters as most other brands. You can even use Spectrapure brand filters if you want.

I own a Purewaterclub RO unit that is now 6 years old. My tap water TDS is 200 - 240 ppm, depending on the time of year. For the first 5.5 years, the stock RO membrane left me with an output TDS of around 5 - 6 ppm before DI. 3 months ago, the stock membrane finally went bad (TDS shot up to 30 - 40 ppm) so I ordered a Spectrapure Select RO membrane direct from them for only $45...

Installed it in the Purewater unit. My output TDS is now down to 2 ppm before DI.

I change the prefilters every 6 - 9 months, usually with Coralife replacements from the LFS.

SteveThePharmer
03/27/2011, 10:35 PM
I disagree with the notion that these units are "trash"...

On the contrary, most ALL of the RO units use the same exact quality of parts like the frame, canisters, tubing, etc. The main difference is the RO membrane and the filters.

Your Purewater unit uses the same standard sized filters as most other brands. You can even use Spectrapure brand filters if you want.

I own a Purewaterclub RO unit that is now 6 years old. My tap water TDS is 200 - 240 ppm, depending on the time of year. For the first 5.5 years, the stock RO membrane left me with an output TDS of around 5 - 6 ppm before DI. 3 months ago, the stock membrane finally went bad (TDS shot up to 30 - 40 ppm) so I ordered a Spectrapure Select RO membrane direct from them for only $45...

Installed it in the Purewater unit. My output TDS is now down to 2 ppm before DI.

I change the prefilters every 6 - 9 months, usually with Coralife replacements from the LFS.

thanks for taking the time to type out the reply, that is exactly what i was trying to find out. time to get some quality filters :bounce3:

RokleM
03/28/2011, 08:40 AM

That's not actually true, but no need to go into all the details as it won't benefit the user here. One (of many) of the important differences is the PSI rating on various parts.

That being said, as I mentioned, just about any of the RC water specific sponsors can get the unit retrofitted with better quality filters/parts. Not as good as a quality unit new, but it will indeed do the trick.