PDA

View Full Version : Powder brown tang in QT and possibly has flukes

travis32
03/24/2011, 10:58 AM
Well, I've had my Powder brown tang in hypo for 5 weeks now. Day 3 I had him just in observation and he had white spots.

So, I implemented hypo. Day 4, White spots were gone. white spot free for 5 weeks.

This morning he had 5 white spots on each side of him and a white wormlike thing wiggling around his head trying to dig in.

I think all of the white spots are flukes. It's not like salt. Just a small number of white spots.

So, I'm thinking of treating with general cure in my QT. My question is can I use the Marine depot general cure while the water is at 1.008 or do I need to raise the SG first then treat with general cure?

Does the SG matter with general cure?

Sk8r
03/24/2011, 02:47 PM
I would NOT treat the dt. If he's not been in there, your dt doesn't have flukes. If you put him back in---it will have.

This is a treatment cycle with Prazipro, aimed at flukes: I found it by online search and cannot personally swear to it.
Day 1 -- remove carbon, perform water change with vacuuming [they shed to bottom of tank and you want to get the eggs], and add Prazi to tank.
Day 2 -- add Prazi again (full dose)
Day 3 -- do nothing
Day 4 -- do nothing
Day 5 -- do nothing
Day 6 -- add Prazi
Day 7 -- add Prazi
Day 8 -- normal partial water change with vacuuming
Day 14 -- normal partial water change, then add prazi
Day 21 -- normal partial water change, then add prazi
Day 28 -- normal partial water change, then add prazi
Day 35 -- normal partial water change, add carbon, treatment is complete

I can't swear to this, but it seems to take into account the principle problem in treating gill flukes, namely that they shed eggs into your gravel and they reinfest.

And if a source sold me a fish with BOTH ich and flukes, I would reconsider that source.

travis32
03/24/2011, 07:24 PM
Don't worry, I'm rethinking the source.... I've had 3 fish boughten locally be healthy. I'm tired of it. out of 7 - 8 purchases. :(

I had the powder brown and a chalk bass in QT together (probably a mistake) and they were both from the same source. The chalk bass was dead after 2 weeks of hypo. Thankfully only $20.00 down the drain and not the $45 I spent on the Powder brown... (Yet...)

Sk8r
03/24/2011, 08:27 PM
Increase the oxygenation: what a tang needs is huge. A potent bubble diffuser or small skimmer would help. It may be part of what did in the chalk bass.

geaux xman
03/24/2011, 10:16 PM
This is how I perform my prazipro treatment and many others do something similar.

day 1 50% prazi dose
day 2 the 2nd 50% dose
day 7 50% WC, then another 100% dose (2nd round of treatment)
another 5-7 days, WC and run carbon.

travis32
03/25/2011, 12:24 PM
Is there any signs from the fish that would indicate the treatment is hurting the fish?

Sk8r I have a bubble diffuser on the QT. I thought of that already. :) The tang is very active. as with any animals I assume lack of oxygenation would be indicated by lethargy and refusal to move around much. The tang is constantly swimming around, pecking at rocks. When he eats he swims athletically. (fast and furious). I'll try the 2 week treatment then, starting today. And when I do water changes I'll begin to raise the SG to get him out of hypo. Which will be next week then.