PDA

View Full Version : Achilles, Blonde Naso and Sohal in 1 tank?

swivel
03/24/2011, 12:31 PM
I am thinking about setting up a 150 gallon FOWLR tank and I was wondering if these tangs will coexist with one another?

bigred16
03/24/2011, 12:40 PM
First off the tank would be too small for anyone of those tangs as adults, especially the naso or sohal. Second in a tank that size the Sohal will eventually probably kill the other tangs or any fish that is put in afterwards. If you want tangs, then something like Yellow, Purple, Kole or possibly Salfine.

swivel
03/24/2011, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the reply. I will look for a bigger tank!

mcoomer
03/25/2011, 07:42 AM
I think the Naso would be OK, the Achilles would be cramped and unhappy about sharing space with your Sohal, and the Sohal would be a bully in that small tank. I've wanted a Sohal for years and thought that my 180 would allow me the space to get one but I got the wave off from folks on here that have the fish in larger tanks. Those fish are racehorses and really need room to stretch out.

Mike

rpjaws74
03/25/2011, 09:32 AM
Agree with mcoomer. I had a sohal in my 500 glln about 6 in big he was good with fish that were in the aquarium prior to him but any new additions after him and he would declare war instantly! so I would think twice about a sohal. But Im not saying you cant add one just a small one and your only tang imo.

swivel
03/25/2011, 01:07 PM
After hearing how aggressive the sohal is, I would probably pass on him. What would the best size tank for both the blonde and achilles tang together? I've also read the having 2 tangs together might cause them to fight?

Sitarangi
03/25/2011, 01:17 PM
assuming you can find a nice achillies that eats, him and the blonde naso should be fine. Sohal Tangs are just nasty fish though. We have one at the LFS I work at. He aggressively whacks my hand anytime I stick it in the tank.

geaux xman
03/25/2011, 01:32 PM
blonde naso gets big and gets big fast too. i would scratch that.

read the achilles primer thread and see if you want all that headache. i know a guy that an achilles wiped out over half of this livestock in a 300g. fish he had for 5yrs.

mcoomer
03/25/2011, 02:51 PM
read the achilles primer thread and see if you want all that headache. i know a guy that an achilles wiped out over half of this livestock in a 300g. fish he had for 5yrs.

ahem...I just bought an Achilles. Quit trying to scare me. :eek:

Mike

swivel
03/25/2011, 05:17 PM
I just read the Achilles primer thread and I am even more convinced that I want to get an achilles tang, but there is a huge price mark up from a 2-3 years ago. :/

aday2remmbr
03/25/2011, 05:20 PM
for those two tangs a 300 gallon would be pushing it. stick with the simple purple and yellow tangs maybe a regal.

rpjaws74
03/25/2011, 05:43 PM
If you do end up putting in those 2 tangs just make sure you have unobstracted swimming room for those tangs. In other words dont put a lott of rock stack up high and all the way across side to side. That should help and also for the Achilies tang just make sure you have prestine water conditions. They are water alarms cause they are the first ones to show ich when water conditions arent up to par

Gogandantess
03/25/2011, 11:04 PM
I would cancel the Sohal. It's known to be terrors from all that I've read and heard. I got a Blonde Naso, Fowleri, and Purple together. Yellow tangs are too common and boring IMO. Same as the koles, etc blah blah. I've seen way worse tanks on this forum with really overstocked tanks. Even some guy who has a ton of large angels in his 180, but since he's well known, etc...he gets away with any bashings that he should get lol.

Gogandantess
03/26/2011, 12:27 AM
[QUOTE=Gogandantess;18548298]I would cancel the Sohal. It's known to be terrors from all that I've read and heard. I got a Blonde Naso, Fowleri, and Purple together. Yellow tangs are too common and boring IMO. Same as the koles, etc blah blah. I've seen way worse tanks on this forum with really overstocked tanks. Even some guy who has a ton of large angels in his 180.

swivel
03/26/2011, 09:11 PM
Well today I went to my lfs and saw 2 Achilles Tangs! Both look a little stressed maybe due to the fact that they are kept in a small cubicle. However I was able to feed both of them live brine shrimp and 1 of them was eating everything. The coloration on them is beautiful!!! I wanted to get it but my tank is not setup yet. :/ The lfs that the tangs were held in has a bad reputation for having sick fishes.