PDA

View Full Version : Level your DIY Stand

MHG
03/25/2011, 05:54 AM
I was surprised how hard it was to find as set of leveling feet for my DIY stand. Home Depot had nothing with a weight rating. Rocker had only a few choices. as is alway the case on a search engine, you must know what to call something.

Who would have thought I should do a search for Leveling "glides". If you really want a high weight handling, do a search for "Stud Style Leveler".

Anyway, I bought a set rated for 250 pounds. If I am not mistaken that is good for (roughly) up to a 1000 pound tank. Am I correct in this? I am actually only using the legs to dial in the level of the tank to "perfect" then I am going to block it in place. Unfortunately my floor is 1/2 inch off...I did not like the idea of that many shims and it was difficult to fine tune it...

However for those of you with custom steel stands, the stud type go up to several thousand pounds for less than $10 each...

baondayko
03/25/2011, 06:01 AM
How big is your tank?

levischilz
03/25/2011, 08:35 AM
When I did mine I just ripped pieces of 2x4 and glued em on

MHG
03/25/2011, 09:35 AM
I only have a 60 gallon cube... I am going to do the "ripping 2X4 thing, bit I can fine tune it fist with leveling legs. Also, if there are any changes as I add water and I get some settling, I can adjust some more...

jeff@zina.com
03/25/2011, 01:54 PM
...I can fine tune it fist with leveling legs.
I fine tune it with shims. About a buck for enough to level half a dozen tanks.

:)

Jeff

MHG
03/26/2011, 06:44 AM
yet but I have a new floor that I wold hate to scratch up with a hammer and shims...also, shimms settle and compress...for $19 more i have peace of mind...

serpentman
03/26/2011, 07:06 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't sweat a 65g at all. Assuming the it weighs ~500-600lbs, that really comes to only a 125-150lbs per leg. Certainly not enough to compress pine.

However, if you're worried about the shims compressing, go with the composite type for a couple of bucks more.

IMO, leveling gets a little more tricky in a large setup where the tank itself covers a significant area and you risk "twisting" the structure.

MHG
03/26/2011, 02:16 PM
I agree... a 60 gal cube is proportionally very easy... no sag in the center issues... My stand is 2" wider on all sides but the 2x4's are doubles up under the glass and all resting on the legs to I am comfortable>>>