PDA

View Full Version : No Refugium - Pods?

AmberL
03/25/2011, 08:26 AM
I don't have a refugium. How do I go about getting pods in my system? I only have 2 clowns right now, so I dont' think it's an issue. But I want to be prepared and know what I need to do in the future. I had originally ordered a sump with refugium, but the protein skimmer would not fit, so I had to go with a sump without a refugium.

I have a 90 gallon tank with a sump and protein skimmer. I think the sump is 20 gallons - not sure - I'll have to check with my LFS.

Lynnmw1208
03/25/2011, 08:37 AM
get some live rock or some cheato macroalgae. Those both have pods on them usually. I got mine of live rock. to see if you have any, look at night on the glass... if you see flea-like things running around, you have them! :)

davocean
03/25/2011, 10:34 AM
You could add a HO fuge, that or swap skimmer or sump, or both.

jeff@zina.com
03/25/2011, 11:09 AM
You don't need a refugium to have pods, the refugium just provides a place for pods to multiply without being eaten by the tank predators. Your tank will have pods, but if you have pod eaters, such as wrasses, madarins, etc. you won't have many. Almost definitely not a sustainable population.

Jeff

davocean
03/25/2011, 11:31 AM
Yep, agree w/ what ^^ he said.

Angel*Fish
03/25/2011, 12:10 PM
Are you wanting pods so you can have a mandarin? I'm pretty sure in a tank that size you can build areas where the pods will reproduce without predation by the mandarin. You need lots of rock.

Also you didn't say what kind of pods. As far as I could tell, my mandarins never bothered the larger amphipods. With wrasse all bets are off.

You can also choose a smaller mandarin species like a green target mandarin. A female would likely stay smaller than a male.

TP123
03/25/2011, 12:50 PM
I have a 90 gallon tank with a sump and protein skimmer. I think the sump is 20 gallons - not sure - I'll have to check with my LFS.

To get the gallons, multiply the LxWxH of the tank in inches and divide by 231. That'll be pretty close.

davocean
03/25/2011, 12:57 PM
To get the gallons, multiply the LxWxH of the tank in inches and divide by 231. That'll be pretty close.

Or even easier go to home page here and enter dims on the calculator.