PDA

View Full Version : EuroReef CS-6 fixup or new skimmer?

zenfish
03/27/2011, 07:06 AM
Thru searches here I see Reef Dynamics (old Euro Reef) has new pumps to replace the noisy Sedra pumps.
My only real experience with skimmers is the CS-6. (10 yrs old).
It seems to do a good job, lots of skimmate, but I have no point of reference
between that and some of the newer skimmers.
The SRO 2000 skimmer is getting a lot of good ink, but honestly I don't know if it would be worth the money vs upgrading my pump on the CS-6.
Anyone out there that has some experience with both that could comment.
Tank is 125g. Fuge is 40g. sump will be around 25g.
thx

JRoweNole
03/27/2011, 07:48 AM
Zen:

Funny you ask this question as I have been pondering this same subject, too.

I also have a 10 year old CS6 Euroreef skimmer with Sedra pump on my 92 gallon corner tank. In my experience, this skimmer has been doing a great job as proven by my stable system that includes three fish, corals, serpent star, snails, etc. that have thrived in the tank for 10+ years.

I plan on upgrading my tank by the end of the year to a 150 cube or something similar. I know I will need to upgrade my skimmer, too. I will be leaning to a Reef Dynamic.

Comparitively speaking, I do not think the new cone shaped skimmers and the skimmers that are the recent rage can be that much better than our Euroreefs. The newer pumps for ours may be a better alternative.

Jeremy B.
03/27/2011, 08:29 AM
The old EuroReef CS6-2 was one of the strongest performing 6" body pinwheel / venturi skimmers ever built in my opinion. The Sedra 5000 was a perfect match for the body, neck, and overall height of that skimmer. I would argue that particular skimmer will hold up performance wise to any other skimmer out there in the market today in that size range, even being 10yrs old! Yes, I still have my 6-2 as well that I bought 11 years ago.

tkeracer619
03/27/2011, 08:35 AM
The only way I would change the pump would be if it burned up. Otherwise run it into the ground.

JRoweNole
03/27/2011, 08:41 AM
And Jeremy B. would sure know!

zenfish
03/27/2011, 09:00 AM
Good input Jeremy.
I believe my pump is the 3500 and not the 5000.
It is terrible loud.
Wonder if upgrading to the 5000 (assuming still made) is worthwile?
The Reef Dynamics website has 'euroreef compatable' pumps, but there really
isn't a chart indicating which one corresponds to what or which would be the best fit for the CS6-2. I guess a call to them is in order.
This pump has to go.
The output on this skimmer is just the riser pipe, which is sort of a pain to
fine tune. If I'm not mistaken, there is a mod for that too.
new pump and pipe mods might be costing about as much as a new skimmer!

moondoggy4
03/27/2011, 11:11 AM
Sorry try to post it but there are two comments in Mojo thread of pump upgrades for the CS 6 skimmers

HaroldT
03/27/2011, 11:46 AM
I have used Euro Reef skimmers and I agree - they are a good choice in skimmers.

Mine worked great for years - pulled a bunch of gunk out of the tank.

If I were you, I would just replace the pumps on that Euro Reef skimmer instead of buying a new skimmer altogether.

zenfish
03/27/2011, 01:26 PM
Did any of you that use(d) the Euro Reef skimmer change the output tube at all?
Mine is simply a straight vertical pipe that extends.

JRoweNole
03/27/2011, 01:41 PM
Zen:

Ironically, I purchased the mod for this riser pipe from Jeremy at Premium Aquatics several years ago. Much easier to adjust skimmate if needed.

autodave
03/27/2011, 02:04 PM
I was using a CS-6+(Sedra 5000),I thought was a great skimmer,on the loud side though.I was putting alot of effort into keeping my tank quiet.I stumbled across a SWC 160 and was really happy how quiet and good it skimmed.I have a brand new gate valve kit (1.5)that I am not going to use....

meat1974
03/27/2011, 05:23 PM
Clean the pump and run it in the ground. Then buy new.

Jeremy B.
03/27/2011, 08:57 PM
Originally there was only a single model CS6-2 with the Sedra 5000, after the Aquabee days of the mid to late 90's. Then after a few years for whatever reason ER decided to make a CS6-2 with a Sedra 3500 (underpowered in my opinion), and a CS6-2+ with the Sedra 5000. If you have the 3500 then I would recommend upgrading to the 5000.