PDA

View Full Version : Is there such thing as too much movement?

WienerDog
03/27/2011, 09:52 AM
My 90g Fowler has been hazy with particles flyin all around. I think I have too much movement. I have 2-1300gph pumps and 2-425's....3450gph total. My tank is being blasted. Do I need anywhere near that for a FOWLR?

Korrine
03/27/2011, 11:08 AM
with a fowlr you are fine with 20x tank turnover. Many shoot for slightly more, though.

how long has it been set up?

WienerDog
03/27/2011, 05:40 PM
with a fowlr you are fine with 20x tank turnover. Many shoot for slightly more, though.

how long has it been set up?

Just completed it's cycle yesterday. Zero'd out across the board. Kinda psyched!! Gonna stock carefully.

jcw
03/27/2011, 06:24 PM
Personally, I think it does stress certain fish out a little with too much flow. Of course it depends on the type of fish. I think particularly at night, they do better with lower flow.

WienerDog
03/27/2011, 06:29 PM
Personally, I think it does stress certain fish out a little with too much flow. Of course it depends on the type of fish. I think particularly at night, they do better with lower flow.

I am gonna maintain the flow along the bottom with nano 425's. I flexed my locktite discharge to create some turbulence at the top of the water. Think that'll be enough?? The pump in my sump feeding the discharge is a mag12.

jcw
03/27/2011, 06:42 PM
i'm slowly moving toward the slower sump turnover rate.

i've read about trying to match your protein skimmer pump, but about 3-5x tank volume/hr is good. A Mag 12 is big.

i think you are good with just the nanos and return pump. Or one nano and one 1300.

but i'm new at this too so don't listen to what i say... :)

Keep the other powerheads for salt mixing. :)

iamwrasseman
03/27/2011, 06:57 PM
you have to much flow rate in your tank . you could use 1/2 of what you have going there .

WienerDog
03/27/2011, 08:41 PM
you have to much flow rate in your tank . you could use 1/2 of what you have going there .

OK, I'll cut out the 1300's and keep the nano's. Also, the return is really disturbing the waterline, no splashing though. Think I'll keep the big guys for salt mixing.

iamwrasseman
03/27/2011, 08:44 PM
i have a 90 with a single 1500 on it and it is on the large side but my wrasses love it as its not to much for them .they are quite active and actually sit and swim into the current for fun or exercise . just play around with the pumps until you get the correct flow for the tank but all four together are simply to much IMO .

WienerDog
03/27/2011, 10:00 PM
i have a 90 with a single 1500 on it and it is on the large side but my wrasses love it as its not to much for them .they are quite active and actually sit and swim into the current for fun or exercise . just play around with the pumps until you get the correct flow for the tank but all four together are simply to much IMO .
Once I get it populated I'll play with the pumps. Its almost as if I'd blow a fish right inti my fireplace with all four runnin.

iamwrasseman
03/28/2011, 07:06 PM
yes that was quite a bit for sure . i had a customer that insisted in keeping five korallias in his 125 gal tank and kept asking why his corals were dieing .my answer was always that there was to much flow in the tank and he always quickly through out my opinion and would not let me remove the power heads . then one weekend one of his gfi circuits went out that had three of the korallias on it and when i got there on Tuesday he asked what I had done the week before because his corals were huge and looking great . it was about ten minutes later that i found out the korallias were turned off and i quickly had him check it out . STILL he INSISTED to have them turned on so again i did and when i came back the next week his corals looked like crap . i then told him it was the korallias of me that were leaving and he picked the korallias ,now his tank looks great and he is soooooooooooooooo happy .

WienerDog
03/28/2011, 07:26 PM
thanks....my tank is much cleaner now.

iamwrasseman
03/28/2011, 07:32 PM
cool great to hear !