PDA

View Full Version : Lifereef Filter Cylinders - Pack Them With Media?

cm11599ps
03/27/2011, 06:17 PM
I have two lifereef filter cylinders built into my sump with the intentions of running phosban and carbon. Should I simply pack the cylinders full of media? Will that lessen the time needed before changing them out?

ToddG.
03/27/2011, 07:21 PM
you can run carbon but thats bout it phosban will just pack down and clog pretty fast you need a reverse flow reactor for the phosban or gfo and packing them full wont extend time depends on water quality at first as to how fast they exhuast themselfs

cm11599ps
03/28/2011, 01:30 PM
you can run carbon but thats bout it phosban will just pack down and clog pretty fast you need a reverse flow reactor for the phosban or gfo and packing them full wont extend time depends on water quality at first as to how fast they exhuast themselfs

I was under the impression that TLF Phosban was the only phosphate media recommended for the lifereef cylinders.

If I pack the carbon full then wouldn't it mean less time between changes as opposed to only packing it half full?

ToddG.
03/28/2011, 02:28 PM
I forgot about the pellet form of gfo you can probably get by using that as it will let the water through it just not quiet as effective go to bulk reef supply and watch the video on the performance of the diffrent types of carbon youll see what im talking bout most of them are only good for a few days in reality i wouldnt leave it in much more than a week for it to really be effective

ToddG.
03/28/2011, 02:33 PM
The tlf really wont work its a fine powder and will jam pack plus it will bleed out all over your sump from the water blasting it from the top and crushing it to a even finer dust trust me i had a lifereef system with those canisters thier not made for gfo i still have the whole system would like to get ride of it as its not really that great for the price and the skimmer sucked in my opinion.