PDA

View Full Version : Noise 6055 after cleaning

dzhuo
03/27/2011, 10:33 PM
Hi Roger,
I decided to give my 6055 a vinegar bath today and ever since it has been very noise. It seems to me the noise is coming from when the pump ramps up and down and appear to be coming from the impellers vibrating. I took the pump apart a few times to inspect everything and make sure all parts are secure but the noise won't stop.

Any idea?

PS. I also vengar bath one of the 6105 but only the 6055 becomes noise.

rvitko
03/28/2011, 10:55 AM
Did the metal shaft get pulled out, this should be permanently part of the pump? Often due to calcium the prop is hard to pull out and if forcibly pulled the shaft which it was stuck to gets pulled out as well.

dzhuo
03/28/2011, 10:59 AM
Which metal shaft? :)

The whole impeller (with the blue plastic ring at the bottom) comes out pretty easily. I didn't have to force anything. It wasn't stuck either and I just thought it might be a good idea to give it a vinegar bath (since I am doing water change as well). Did I break something?

rvitko
03/28/2011, 01:12 PM
Yes, it is as I described, there is a metal shaft stuck in there, it got ripped out, the blue disk and shaft should be stuck in the pump, the only way all pieces would be together is if the shaft is holding them together, look from the bottom and you will see it, try to pull the shaft out with pliers and use a small hammer to lightly tap it back into the pump, if the damage is not too severe it should press back in, calcium bound these pieces together.

dzhuo
03/28/2011, 01:25 PM
OK. Thx for the info Roger. So just use a plier to pick out the metal shaft still stuck in the pump? Once the metal shaft come out:

1. Should I put everything (metal shaft and blue plastic ring) back onto the impeller and stuck them back to the pump?

OR:

2. Put the metal shaft and blue plastic ring to the pump first and then put the impeller back on?

Also, the pump is still running (with noise) so would it somehow damage the pump? I won't be able to get home until later tonight.

rvitko
03/28/2011, 02:20 PM
2) You need to get everything seperated and cleaned and install the shaft by itself. Running it is not a good idea, any further wear to the socket the shaft presses in could render it useless and impossible to reassemble.

dzhuo
03/28/2011, 02:52 PM
Crap! Between now and yesterday afternoon I might have already destroy the pump. :( Oh well, didn't realize a good old cleaning will get me in trouble.

rvitko
03/28/2011, 03:02 PM
What happened is because there was too much time between cleaning and the drive unit is stuck to the shaft, worst case you will need a motor which is still only about half a complete new pump.

evsalty
03/28/2011, 03:07 PM
OK. Thx for the info Roger. So just use a plier to pick out the metal shaft still stuck in the pump? Once the metal shaft come out:

1. Should I put everything (metal shaft and blue plastic ring) back onto the impeller and stuck them back to the pump?

OR:

2. Put the metal shaft and blue plastic ring to the pump first and then put the impeller back on?

Also, the pump is still running (with noise) so would it somehow damage the pump? I won't be able to get home until later tonight.

If the shaft is still in the PUMP leave it there. If it is in the impellor then follow Rogers instructions. #2 would be correct.

dzhuo
03/28/2011, 03:14 PM
What happened is because there was too much time between cleaning and the drive unit is stuck to the shaft, worst case you will need a motor which is still only about half a complete new pump.

The pump is only in operation for 2 months (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1961777) and I bought it brand new. Like I mentioned earlier, it wasn't showing any signs of wear or slow down, I only vinegar bath it because I am doing a water change so it's just easy to grab it and give it a wash. When I pull the impeller out, it comes right out easily so I didn't even think anything would stuck especially with only 2 months in operation.

How much is to replace the motor? I suppose this isn't covered since technically I broke it? :)

rvitko
03/29/2011, 08:41 AM
That certainly changes things, I assumed it was a much older pump. Send it in, include your receipt and we will get this sorted, it sometimes happens but is very rare that a shaft was not fully inserted at the factory, it is pressed in with a hydraulic press and if the press is not pumped the full number of times to really seat it, they can be loose, but this will be obvious from the parts.

dzhuo
03/29/2011, 10:15 AM
Maybe the noise isn't from the shaft? :) Anyway, I will send it in for you to inspect:

1. Can I send in only the pump? Like without the holders, controller cable etc?
2. I don't think I have the receipt anymore but I am pretty sure I can still find the email from BRS (where I purchased the pump from). Can I forward you this email instead? If so, please PM me your email.
3. What address should I send the pump in?

Thx!

rvitko
03/29/2011, 02:34 PM
1) Yes
2) I will send a PM
3) Tunze USA
305 Victor St
Austin, TX 78753

dzhuo
04/05/2011, 03:49 PM
Sorry for the delay Roger! I finally found time to ship the pump to you. It's shipped out using USPS and here is the tracking number:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w84/dzhuo/IMG_20110405_124347.jpg

It should get to you in a few days. Thx again!

dzhuo
04/07/2011, 06:04 PM
Hey Roger,
It seems like the package has been delivered. Can you confirm you have received it?

Thx!

rvitko
04/08/2011, 08:48 AM
It is here and I should get to it today.