PDA

View Full Version : Don't make this mistake...

Paco
03/28/2011, 06:48 AM
Late one night I realized my LiterMeter sounded like it needed to be cleaned. It's an original LiterMeter and every few months the three rollers need to be cleaned off with acetone or naptha to get the rubber residue off. I cleaned it up, hooked it back up and went to bed.

I vaguely remember thinking several days later:

1. That the pump was surprisingly quiet

2. that the level in my kalkwasser reservoir wasn't dropping very quickly

3. And that my tank was looking like crap

So I set the LiterMeter to pump continuously and look at that -- no kalk being pumped into the tank.

I had the in and out hoses in reverse.

*#$%#&***!!!!!!!

The alk in the tank was down to 6 dKH (from 9ish). Anyway, I swapped it back around, doubled the kalk dose, did a water change, brought everything back where it belonged and things are improving.

Moral of the story: don't do things in a hurry, late at night when you are tired, and make sure to check before you move on to the next thing.

dzfish17
03/28/2011, 07:53 AM
I've done my fair share of things like that and it wasn't late so no excuses for me. I started labeling everything a few yrs ago which cuts down on the mistakes. The good thing is that you are paying attention to your tank and fixed the problem.

jhs
03/28/2011, 08:11 AM
That reminds me of the time I was changing my RO/DI filters and shut off the power strip to the booster pump that also had the auto shut off to the freash water tank plugged into it also.........30gals later I discovered my unfortunate
mistake.......Oh well live and learn....:rolleye1:

LaOtIn
03/28/2011, 09:24 AM
glad you caught it before it got too bad.

great advice! thanks for sharing