PDA

View Full Version : few questions about my parameters????

sefrayser
03/28/2011, 09:01 AM
I performed a test of my water today in my 34G Solana and this is what I came up with:

PH 8.4 (Pinpoint pen)
Salinity 1.025 (ATC Refractor)
KH 8 (Salifert)
No3 2?????(Salifert)
Po4 0.06 (Hanna 736 ULP) reading of 20x3.066/1000=0.061
Mg 1320 (Salifert)
Ca 480 (Salifert)

My test was done with the lights off and temp is 76.8. I just replaced my GFO in my reactor on 3-24. Could the numbers be high because of the lights being off or could I have to much flow in the reactor? I did slow the flow down to see if that makes a difference. I tested the 25 and the Po4 was 0. On the No3, with the Salifert test it says that if its below 10 to look thru the side and then divide by 100. If I do that then my No3 is 10, but if I look thru the top its not. What should I go with? I also run carbon via a bag in my second chamber (In-Tank Media Basket) and changed it 3-16. I have what appears to Cyano under the sandbed but when I vacuum its on the glass. I do not have any algea and water is clear. My Zoa's dont seem to happy but that could be from the Lemon Peel(thats soon gone). I have a 24" 250MH(15K) with 4 24watt t-5 and 6 moonlights. I run my t-5 from 145-9pm, and the MH from 330 to 730, Moonlight from 9-3 am. Is there anything out of the ordinary? I am using Reef Crystals salt and my own Ro/Di via a Spectrapure OSPDI 90. I was using DD H2 Ocean, but ran out and figured I would finish the Reef Crystals before I went to something else. I was also using a Olive Barrel that I got and cleaned to store my water....but stopped using it when my zoa's and mushrooms started acting up. I am afraid something from the barrel is leeching into the water. Its either that or the Lemon Peel. Until I get rid of the Lemon Peel I will continue to not use it. I want to see if the Lemon Peel or the water is causing my problems with my corals?

HighlandReefer
03/28/2011, 10:17 AM
Perhaps stop feeding for a couple of days to allow nitrate and phosphate to drop to undetectable levels will help. After that resume feeding and watch your nitrate and phosphate levels. If they climb you may need to use something like carbon dosing to control nitrate and phosphate. If phosphate continues to be high, change out your GFO more often, perhaps weekly until phosphate is undetectable. ;)

sefrayser
03/28/2011, 10:33 AM
I forgot to metion I have Live Rock rubble in the bottom of the second chamber. I have read that could cause No3 levels to rise, is that something I should get rid of?

HighlandReefer
03/28/2011, 10:43 AM
Live Rock rubble should not cause problems, but may help a bit depending on how much you have in there. It acts the same as live rock with anaerobic nitches for bacterial growth, which helps reduce nitrate. A few lbs is not going to help much though.

sefrayser
03/28/2011, 11:18 AM
I would think I have maybe 5 pounds in there.

bertoni
03/28/2011, 06:35 PM
If the rubble has a lot of visible detritus on it, that could be an issue. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.