PDA

View Full Version : my brittle starfish ate my clam!

timdam
03/28/2011, 09:43 PM
Has anyone ever heard of that happening?

I have had my clam for about six months. He's sat in the sandbed all this time. A few days ago, I decided to rearrange my tank and I put him on a rock.

So I was looking at the tank tonight, and I see my brittle star's arm inside my clam's shell. I pull the clam out, and it's an empty shell now.

OMG! I want another clam. But I'm afraid this will happen again. Are brittle stars known to eat clams? I wanna kill my starfish now.

Neogenocide
03/28/2011, 09:50 PM
If your brittle star ate you clam, your clam was already dead. Brittle's won't bother a live and healthy clam.

timdam
03/29/2011, 06:28 AM
It was alive for six months. and then i moved it up from the sand and placed it on a ledge on the rock. Do you think that might have had any effect? or it being closer to my LED lights?

Reef Bass
03/29/2011, 06:41 AM
Yeah it was probably on the edge of survival and the move and the change in light and / or flow was enough to push it over the edge.

DustinB
03/29/2011, 07:43 AM
Look at the growth rim of the shell, is it white or gray? Was the clam attached when you moved it? If so, did you just pull it up?

timdam
03/29/2011, 07:53 AM
it wasn't attached. it was always in the sand, so i didn't know it was supposed to attach to anything.

from seeing it in the sand, all the purple colors were always there so i assumed it was doing well.