PDA

View Full Version : New 120 RR

ReeferHead92
03/28/2011, 10:10 PM
Hey everyone I just picked up a brand new 120 gallon tank with dual overflows but I have no idea how i am supposed to plumb them... can someone please give me some advice on plumbing these things?
Thanks
Brandon

Pallobi
03/28/2011, 10:23 PM
First, u will need the proper bulkheads if u haven't already, I buy mine from Bulk reef supply myself, but some LFS's carry them... I would recommend the "durso" style overflow drains (do a search, there is a great thread)... as far as the piping and connections, I recommend use of couplings, and using threaded adaptors at the connections with threaded elbows... also throwing in a gate valve here and there can be helpful for maintenance and controlling the return's flow if necessary...standard white pvc will work jus fine as well, and its cheap...

Do a couple searches on plumbing and youll find a ton of various methods and design, as well as the basic concepts...

Thats a good start, I'm sure more will chime in

2hi4u2c
03/28/2011, 10:37 PM
What do you have to start with? Is there any plumbing at all? I can post pics of how my 120RR is, I have two durso drains, and two "loc-line" returns.

needmore-reef
03/28/2011, 11:31 PM
I would use 1 1/4" thin wall PVC for the drains. You will have one for each drain into sump. for the return I would use two pumps about 500 gallon per hour (Mag 5 size pumps), 3/4 clear tubing from pump to return line.

you may want to post a thread in the local reef club forum for help. There should be folks happy to come by and help.

dulkion
03/29/2011, 09:41 PM
The "durso" standpipe is an excellent idea. When i got my all-glass 180 with the corner overflows it came with the old-school all-glass overflow kits. Took me a few years to finally swap them for dursos and it was a world of difference...much quieter and lots of flow.