PDA

View Full Version : Polyfilter question

DownwardDawg
03/29/2011, 08:25 AM
I had a thread on the newbie forum about possible copper leaching from ground wire. My questions lead to some suggestions for polyfilter. I read about the polyfilters and it raised my interest about another issue I have. I have been fighting phosphates for a short time (no reactor). I recently realized my RO/DI unit was producing WAY too much product water. After checking, I found that I had not seated the membrane correctly which allowed flow around the membrane. I ordered new filters and replaced those as well. (they were exhausted) I'm hoping that was the root of my phosphate problem. Anyway, the polyfilter description claims that it will remove phosphates among other things. My question is, would this be a viable option for helping to reduce phosphates in a 30 gal and 20 gal tank?

GPB
03/29/2011, 08:35 AM
Im a big fan of polyfilters. I use them for organics primarily. I also use GFO. I've never really thought of Polyfilters for removing phosphate.

DownwardDawg
03/29/2011, 04:22 PM
Thanks! Anybody else with an opinion?

Ritten
03/29/2011, 05:02 PM
I've been using polyfilters for at least 10 years. I use RO/DI and I don't test for phosphate, but I've never had any type of algea or other problem. Along with carbon, the water is really crystal clear as well.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/29/2011, 05:07 PM
They won't remove any appreciable phosphate from seawater. Good options include GFO and other binders.

This has more:

Phosphate and the Reef Aquarium
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/index.php

DownwardDawg
03/29/2011, 05:45 PM
They won't remove any appreciable phosphate from seawater. Good options include GFO and other binders.

This has more:

Phosphate and the Reef Aquarium
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/index.php

Thanks. I was hoping you would chime in.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/30/2011, 04:50 AM
You're welcome.

Good luck. :)

TripleT
03/30/2011, 05:14 AM
If you identified the problem, water changes will now do wonders.