PDA

View Full Version : Savage chocolate tang

Megatrev62
03/30/2011, 05:03 PM
This tang is absolutely savage. Any new introduction is harrassed big time. Just added another bangaii to the tank and the other cardinal is checking it out. All good so far.:):). My tang is very aggressive and darting around the tank and posturing?!! I mean this is nuts. Anyway I think it will calm down but I never expected this. Does anyone have this experience with a lemon peel mimic? Thanks

snorvich
03/31/2011, 11:12 AM
Well, for two Bangaii cardinal fish you need a male + female or you will end up with just one. What sized tank is this?

toash
03/31/2011, 11:28 AM
This may sound silly buy I have often put mean/troublesome fish in time out for a bit....meaning in net or a small bucket....most times for whatever reason, whenever they are released they somehow know how to play nice....good luck

Megatrev62
03/31/2011, 11:38 AM
75 gallon and everything seems calm at the moment. The cardinals are hanging out together so I'm thrilled with this. Male/female I'm sure. Was watching how they got on last night and all went excellent. Hoping this continues. Thanks

snorvich
03/31/2011, 11:41 AM
75 gallon and everything seems calm at the moment. The cardinals are hanging out together so I'm thrilled with this. Male/female I'm sure. Was watching how they got on last night and all went excellent. Hoping this continues. Thanks

If they hang out together, that is a very good sign. If that lasts for a month, you should be home free.

Megatrev62
03/31/2011, 11:48 AM
A young girl here who just got in the hobby somehow managed to pick up 2 cardinals and one happened to be carrying eggs and she was rewarded with some fry.She and the store had no idea. She was extremely lucky and only had her very first saltwater tank set up a couple of months!!

snorvich
03/31/2011, 01:19 PM
A young girl here who just got in the hobby somehow managed to pick up 2 cardinals and one happened to be carrying eggs and she was rewarded with some fry.She and the store had no idea. She was extremely lucky and only had her very first saltwater tank set up a couple of months!!

The one carrying eggs is the male!! (thank goodness my wife did not think of this)

Megatrev62
03/31/2011, 01:46 PM
The one carrying eggs is the male!! (thank goodness my wife did not think of this)

I know it's the male. They didn't know what was male or female.

Here's my scenario. Lfs employee(a fish fanatic-50 tanks, 3 of which are saltwater) picked out for me what he thought would be a female about 3 weeks ago. He told me he has a male that is in its own tank at home because it was getting beaten up by another male. He said I could have that fish and once it's looking better he would bring it up to me. That was last night and we both feel that they are M/F. Crossing fingers ofcourse. Doesn't hurt getting free fish too!!!!!!

reefsic
03/31/2011, 02:40 PM
This tang is absolutely savage. Any new introduction is harrassed big time. Just added another bangaii to the tank and the other cardinal is checking it out. All good so far.:):). My tang is very aggressive and darting around the tank and posturing?!! I mean this is nuts. Anyway I think it will calm down but I never expected this. Does anyone have this experience with a lemon peel mimic? Thanks

I had the same problem, with the same fish (A. Pyroferus). Was approx. 4-5" and was hyper-dominant. Harrassed every new addition to the tank, which caused stress, starvation, ich, etc etc till it reached death. I got slashed a couple times, just cleaning the glass or moving around corals!!! Once established, these guys really become super territorial.

GL

Megatrev62
03/31/2011, 02:44 PM
Yes when I introduced a bi color blenny and cardinal 3 weeks ago he went ballistic. Calmed down after a couple of days. Still darts at the blenny now and then. All good today since he went crazy last night. I find this odd with this fish, just didn't expect it.

Friendly with me, as I feed him nori by hand sometimes.

snorvich
03/31/2011, 03:23 PM
If he associates you with food, you should be given personal immunity!!

:blown:

Monkeyfish
04/01/2011, 01:31 PM
If he associates you with food, you should be given personal immunity!!

:blown:

Unless he thinks you ARE the food!