PDA

View Full Version : Will My Multimeter Work with a Par Sensor?

Thricelll
03/30/2011, 09:16 PM
I've been thinking about getting an Apogee sensor but I read that the multimeter needs to be able to read MV and I don't see it on my multimeter. Here is a picture of my meter:

http://i54.*******.com/hu12pu.jpg

Does anyone know if I can get it to work somehow?

Rob.P
03/30/2011, 10:30 PM
doubt it, but let me know if you find a cheap way to read PAR. I cant find a meter to rent anywhere

AdamHI
03/30/2011, 10:41 PM
I don't know about working with the PAR sensor, but your meter does read mV. In the section of the selector in the upper left- the 9-12 o'clock locations - are 2 choices labeled 2000m and 200m. I don't know your meter for sure, but they should give you ranges of:
0-2000 mV (with 1 mV resolution) and
0-200 mV (with 0.1 mV resolution).

--adam

Sent from my Android phone using Tapatalk

Thricelll
03/30/2011, 10:52 PM
I don't know about working with the PAR sensor, but your meter does read mV. In the section of the selector in the upper left- the 9-12 o'clock locations - are 2 choices labeled 2000m and 200m. I don't know your meter for sure, but they should give you ranges of:
0-2000 mV (with 1 mV resolution) and
0-200 mV (with 0.1 mV resolution).

--adam

Sent from my Android phone using Tapatalk

Thanks adam. I didn't know the m stood for mv. I always thought abbreviations where standard across the world and m usually stands for thousand. But yeah, you can hook it up to a sensor and set it to mv and multiply it by 5 to get par with an error of 10%. Rob, search the terms multimeter par and you'll get some info on it. I just ordered mine.

AdamHI
03/31/2011, 02:06 AM
Thanks adam. I didn't know the m stood for mv. I always thought abbreviations where standard across the world and m usually stands for thousand.

Interesting about just buying the PAR sensor, but it's not something i'm quite ready to do.

'm' usually means 1/1000ths, while the K's in the lower left are for 1000's (of Ohms). 'M' (capital M) being Millions (like meg or mega), as in the 20 megohm selection in the lower left. The µ symbol on the right is for micro, and is 1/1,000,000 , ie, 1 millionths, of an Ampere (Amp).

--adam