PDA

View Full Version : BRS T5 retro fit help!

Alysiak00
03/30/2011, 09:28 PM
Okay, so i bought a t5 retro kit from brs and decided to hook it tonight. everything was going smoothly until i went to go hook up the power cable. Coming out of the ballast there is a black, a white and a green wire. In the "instructions," if you'd like to call them that, it states the green wire MUST be grounded to an earth ground, got it. So what are the other wires? In all my other occasions with electrical the black is ground and the white or red is hot. Is it swapped for fish tank stuff.

The reason i ask is because i hooked it up as it thought it should be. green and black as ground wires (connected together) and the white wire as a hot. Is it swapped in fish tank stuff? I plugged it in and it tripped the breaker lol

mike5051
03/30/2011, 10:20 PM
I'm not a licensed electrician, but I've always thought black or red was "hot", white was "neutral" and green was ground.

ebojo
03/30/2011, 10:33 PM
I would imagine the black was grounded, the white is connected to your power source, and the green should be connected to the switch. Assuming the green is indeed supposed to be connected to the switch, the black and white wires could be hooked up either way, only resulting in the switch working backwards.

However, that is the extent of my knowledge.

austin93
03/30/2011, 10:40 PM
I'm not a licensed electrician, but I've always thought black or red was "hot", white was "neutral" and green was ground.

I believe this to be true. Green is the ground. White neutral.

Hudzon
03/30/2011, 10:50 PM
Wow, you really should have a basic knowledge of wiring before wiring a fixture over a lot of saltwater... It really can kill you.

http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/ac_wiring.htm

Alysiak00
03/30/2011, 11:30 PM
i have basic knowledge its just these directions are bogus. It says to connect the two grounds together and connect the power cord. BUT IT DOESN'T SAY WHICH IS WHICH. it just says the green needs to be grounded.

Bosco83
03/31/2011, 07:33 AM
I remember being pretty frustrated when setting up my tek retrofits the directions on these thing are horrible. I don't remember putting two wires together though my ballast had a spot for each wire to press into.

gary faulkner
03/31/2011, 08:32 AM
Black hot, white neutral, green ground. If you don't know this basic stuff you really need to stay away from this kind of DIY.

mgraf
03/31/2011, 10:40 AM
+1 black hot, green groung, white neutral

Bosco83
04/02/2011, 02:04 AM
I don't know why the rude comments have to come along with an answer we all start somewhere. Maybe the retro kits should come with more detailed instructions including pictures.