PDA

View Full Version : I have finally won my war on Aiptasia!!

Froggy
03/31/2011, 10:38 AM
After wasting so much time and money on bottled chemicals to treat my infestation that only made the problem worse, I have finally won the war on Aiptasia. How did I do it?

A matted filefish! I read and read about natural predators on Aiptasia and read about others experiences with certain fish, shrimp, nudi's etc. Shrimp were not an option due to my hawkfish and I was weighing the differences/odds between butterfly fish, filefish, and even brackish scat fish. I was worried about butterfly's and filefish attacking other corals like the LPS, Xenia, Acans, Zoa's etc. so I delayed for a while. I tried more chemicals.......

The chemical treatment made things look better for a few days and then BAM there were even more. I am not exagerating in saying that I had over a 1,000 Aiptasia in my 120. I decided I would take a chance and add a fish known to possibly eat them as I was at my wits end.

The matted filefish went into the tank in December 2010 and it was hard to tell a difference as I had so many aiptasia. I was doubting the filefish was doing anything. Well it took some time and I began seeing a difference. About 4 months later, I could only find 2 visible aiptasia in the tank as of today. So far no other LPS,SPS, or softy has been touched that I can tell. The crazy thing is I have only witnessed the filefish eat one aiptasia the entire time I have had him. I do not know when he eats them but no matter how long I sit watching the tank I see nothing. They are nearly gone now though and I am HAPPY. I just wanted to share my experience with you all and a filefish may be worth a try if you are at your wits end too. This has been my experience with them.

Now I am fighting a new war against Caulerpa numularia.....always something :uzi:

redneckgearhead
03/31/2011, 11:46 AM
Sweet, Does the fish eat other things? If not whats your plan for him when the aiptasia is gone?

pbnj
03/31/2011, 11:57 AM
Cool. It probably ate them at night, when they were closed-up.

reefinmo
03/31/2011, 09:54 PM
I have one too. He stopped mine from getting out of control and I haven't seen an aptasia in my tank for 6 months. I've got three aptaisa in my sump, so I know they're in my system. But they are not in my display tank thanks to that little filefish. He eats the same food I feed my clownfish and seems pretty happy. Plus he's got a personality. I like him a lot.

Froggy
04/01/2011, 06:32 AM
Sweet, Does the fish eat other things? If not whats your plan for him when the aiptasia is gone?

So far, the filefish will eat frozen Mysis. I cannot get him to eat flake or pellet yet. He is very active grazing copepods and amphipods off of the rock also. As along as he continues eating the mysis, I will keep him in the tank to prevent any more aiptasia outbreaks. As wierd as it sounds, I would not mind adding an aiptasia covered rock every now and then for the little guy. Very cool looking/acting fish IMO.

polywise
04/02/2011, 05:30 AM
I had 2 small matted file fish in my 280, well worth the investment, and they also ate mysis, and brine shrimp.

wilky9393
04/02/2011, 04:27 PM
great advise, i tried all the chemicals as well. i got so frustated one day i boiled a pot of ro water and with a syringe i went one by one. tooks 3 hrs but worked.

harleymarine
04/03/2011, 08:35 AM
Guys, go to Reeftown.com. They sell Berghia Nudibranches. The SOLE diet of a Berghia Nudibranch is Aptasia Anemones!!! My tank was getting OVERTHROWN by these buggers and now, well, do a YouTube search on these guys and watch 3 of them DEVOUR a big one. Not advertising for these guys, not trying to sell them, just a user and it WORKS!!!! In 3-6 months, your tank will be Aptasia FREE!!

sanchoy
04/03/2011, 08:45 AM
Personally, and through experience the filefish works better then nudibranchs.

-I have tried copperband butterflyfish, he eats well, but not aiptasia

-berghia nudis , i spend close to $150 worth on these critters, never knew what happened to them, they went MIA in my tank. probably dead, or eaten. these little soldiers will only work in a small tank, that has little to no flow.

-peppermint shrimps, tried it before, did not work, shrimps became allies with aiptasia.

-manual sniping (kalk plaste,aiptasiaX) this was a losing style, once i killed one, another popped up the next day.

-the aiptasia filefish (the warrior), when introduced it took about a month, then aiptasia finally started dieing. Works way better then other remedies.

pinkcoral
04/14/2011, 09:35 PM
Will the filefish pick at corals and anemones?

Froggy
04/16/2011, 07:22 AM
Will the filefish pick at corals and anemones?

Hi,
Through all of my reading prior to purchase, the filefish is listed as reef safe "with caution". My experience has been good. I have a mixed reef with SPS, LPS, and softies. I have frogspawn, xenia, zoas, leathers, acan's, a chalice, a large derasa clam, a rose anemone, and various SPS. So far the I have only noticed what looked like one sampling bite mark on an acan a couple of weeks ago. I have never noticed or witnessed any other picking. My filefish will still eat frozen mysis but no other added food. He picks at the rocks all day. He is a very shy fish and very reclusive but very interesting. Mine has been a good addition and I have had a good experience with him. I am finally growing my hair back that I pulled out in frustration with the aiptasia :bounce1:
Joe

trondsbr
04/16/2011, 08:11 AM
As wierd as it sounds, I would not mind adding an aiptasia covered rock every now and then for the little guy.
Congrats on your success. I did it with a Copperband and noticed similar results. When I put my system into feed mode he immediately goes to the powerheads to check them for snacks. My over flow has a lot of aiptasia and every once in a while "as weird as it sounds" I cut some off and throw them into the display for him to eat.
I have to give you credit that is due because you stated you read and read, one of the most important things that many people in this hobby pass up.:reading:

fusica
04/28/2011, 12:11 AM
I tried copperband 3 times (2small 1 big), only the big 1 like over 4 inch size eat the aiptasias , once he eat all aiptasia gone, he keep getting thinner day by day altough he eat mysis a tiny bit at a time like 6 mysis and stop. Its like their stomach so small and u have to keep throwing 6 mysis every 2 hrs. I dont have the patience to do that.
Bought 4 nudi before, put em in 30 long tank, they gone in 1 week for some reason. I suspect my skunk shrimp or emerald crab or the bristle worm ate em probably.
Gonna try the file fish now or Klein butterfly thx for info.

THEDLO
04/28/2011, 12:20 AM
beware..aptasia hides...i was under the impression that my CBB had rid my tank of all aptasia but when he passed low and behold 2 aptasia stared to peek out from there hiding places...they where bone white so they had been in hiding for quite some time, now they are back to there natural color....so the battle continues...

Froggy
04/28/2011, 07:48 AM
beware..aptasia hides...i was under the impression that my CBB had rid my tank of all aptasia but when he passed low and behold 2 aptasia stared to peek out from there hiding places...they where bone white so they had been in hiding for quite some time, now they are back to there natural color....so the battle continues...

This is true. This is also the reason I will always keep a filefish in my reef now. I am sure there are a couple of stragglers in the tank I cannot see. The filefish will keep any spreading at bay. Just an added piece of info...the filefish I have took care of large and small Aiptasia's. I had several that were HUGE. I bet that was a fun meal :):uzi:

squirt22
04/29/2011, 05:32 AM
i have a big problem with aiptasia. anyone have success with peppermint shrimp?? if so..how many should i get for my 75g?

NatureNerd
04/29/2011, 08:09 AM
I got rid of mine a couple years ago with just two shrimp. haven't seen one since. I have a 75g mixed reef. There is a thread on RC about them causing damage to a coral, but it was a great success for me. That said, the filefish would be a great addition to a reef.

redhanded77
04/29/2011, 08:53 AM
congrats! I was in the same situation as you, my 75g was loaded with aiptasia. Some were big enough that clowns could host in it, lol. I tried all the chemicals, aiptasia zapper thing, fish and peppermints. None of that worked, until I invested in some berghia. I don't wanna go off topic, but the berghia worked for me in my high flow sps system. After only 1 month, I can only see a few aiptasia.

t4zalews
04/29/2011, 09:22 AM
I bought a mated filefish and it destroyed all my aptasia and majanos. When my tank was eradicated, I gave it to my friend who has an aptasia problem.

BuckeyeTodd
04/29/2011, 09:28 AM
Anyone manually shock them? I've got someone local that sells a product that does this, been contemplating buying one

nano51
04/29/2011, 10:32 AM
If I know something about filefish earlier, I wouldn't spend hours manually remove aptasia >.<

Joe, thank you for sharing.

redhanded77
04/29/2011, 03:06 PM
Anyone manually shock them? I've got someone local that sells a product that does this, been contemplating buying one

Don't do it. I bought that aiptasia zapper/shocker, and it made my problem even worse!

westreef
04/29/2011, 03:38 PM
I bought a mated filefish and it destroyed all my aptasia and majanos. When my tank was eradicated, I gave it to my friend who has an aptasia problem.

There are many kind of filefish. What kind or name of your file fish?

pblogic
04/29/2011, 04:43 PM
I just got one as well. It's the mottled green one you want. Like camo :) They are very cute. Docile and have nice personalities. Fun to watch them, really happy I bought one regardless of whether he eats aiptasia. I've gotten rid of alot of aiptasia with joes juice and aiptasia x but I think having a predator in there is the way to go. I've tried peppermin shrimp many times. They die very easily and have never worked at reducing the population. It's not water params as all my other inverts thrive. I don't have anything in the tank that could eat them outside of a sea star, but they are way too fast for that. I think they are just fragile so I feel they are a huge waste of money.

Go with a file fish you won't regret it.

DownwardDawg
04/29/2011, 05:44 PM
"The Matted Filefish is known to eat Aiptasia anemone in the home aquarium, but normally nips at soft and stony corals as well. "

Is this true? I don't want a coral nipping fish.

wilky9393
04/29/2011, 08:15 PM
if the aiptasia is within reach, boil a pot of water(ro) get a syringe(if minor) or a turkey baster(if major) fill your tool up and sneak attack the bastards! BE CAREFULL EITHER WAY SO YOU DONT BURN YOURSELF. THEY MELT LIKE BUTTER!

westreef
04/29/2011, 10:36 PM
"The Matted Filefish is known to eat Aiptasia anemone in the home aquarium, but normally nips at soft and stony corals as well. "

Is this true? I don't want a coral nipping fish.

Okay, so it is called matted filefish. Thanks. I worry once I put one in and find it nips my SPS, I would have trouble to remove it without tearing my tank down. Decision, decision.:hammer:

pblogic
04/30/2011, 02:19 AM
Okay, so it is called matted filefish. Thanks. I worry once I put one in and find it nips my SPS, I would have trouble to remove it without tearing my tank down. Decision, decision.:hammer:

I have not seen mine nip yet, but I have read it's possible. It is the most docile fish I have ever owned. Shy, but if I don't move fast he will even let me touch him. If my specimen is the norm, catching him would be extremely easy if you ever wanted him out.

westreef
04/30/2011, 07:00 AM
Now I have to figure out where I can get one.:twitch:

DownwardDawg
04/30/2011, 07:26 AM
Now I have to figure out where I can get one.:twitch:

Live Aquaria

http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+30+2562&pcatid=2562

pinkcoral
05/15/2011, 01:24 PM
I went out and got me a matted file fish last weekend and let me tell you he is great! I see him eating the aiptasia all day long, finally something that works to get rid of them. I had tried the peppermint shrimp, they didn't work. I think they either got eaten by my wrasse or just died. I tried the berghia nudis, they either got eaten by the wrasse as well. Thanks Froggy for this post.

Froggy
05/16/2011, 05:59 AM
I went out and got me a matted file fish last weekend and let me tell you he is great! I see him eating the aiptasia all day long, finally something that works to get rid of them. I had tried the peppermint shrimp, they didn't work. I think they either got eaten by my wrasse or just died. I tried the berghia nudis, they either got eaten by the wrasse as well. Thanks Froggy for this post.

Great to hear he is working out for you ! Mine is still doing great as well. I think my tank will always need one in it. Every now and then I will notice a single Aiptasia pop up where one was not before. It does not last long :fun2:

As far as nipping at corals, my personal experience has been good. I noticed a bite mark on an Acan once early after the Acan was added. No other damage and the Acan has healed as well. I have SPS, LPS, softies, a large Derasa clam. I actually wish the file fish would take a liking to Xenia....mine is getting a bit overgrown:uhoh3:

I do not think my file fish would be difficult to remove either, if needed. If I move slow enough, I can touch mine as well without him being startled. If I move too fast, they can also move surprisingly fast.

Joe

RVANANO
05/16/2011, 02:15 PM
I used one as well but it started nipping at softies so I gave it to another local member.

pmrossetti
05/16/2011, 02:43 PM
it says don't keep with small inverts. does that mean eats my cleaners,herms,snails?

pinkcoral
05/23/2011, 09:07 PM
Mine has not bothered any of my inverts.

AndyH5512
05/23/2011, 09:50 PM
Do they eat majano anemones also?

sanchoy
05/24/2011, 12:15 AM
Do they eat majano anemones also?

mine does.. he eats all aiptasia

leaves my chalice, suncoral, clam, and sps alone.

gwocni
05/24/2011, 09:07 AM
I rid my tank of Aiptasia using normal pure lemon juice from the fridge. I charged a 3ml syringe with the juice and fitted the(optional)needle to the syringe.
You have to sneak up on Aiptasia as they are very quick to withdraw. Just squirt it in the "face" and it should not reappear. If it disappears before you get it, you will need the needle.
You may not get it the first time so perservere. Don't use any more than about 5ml at a time so as not to affect levels :)

David.

mod0522
05/24/2011, 11:41 AM
I have had mixed experiences with these filefish y'all. I had a pair of them in a 210 mixed LPS and softie reef and they were PHENOMENAL. This rid this particular tank of hundreds of aiptasia and didn't so much as look at any other coral. They now are munching happily on rods food and even flake.

After this great success I purchased another one of these little guys and added him to my SPS and LPS mixed reef. This particular individual wouldn't touch ANY aiptasia but sure as heck loved to dine on my acans! He now resides in my refugium until a new home can be found. Could it be I just got a bad apple?

Triple One
03/11/2012, 12:13 AM
froggy, you still a devoted filefish fan?

Triple One
03/11/2012, 12:19 AM
I have had mixed experiences with these filefish y'all. I had a pair of them in a 210 mixed LPS and softie reef and they were PHENOMENAL. This rid this particular tank of hundreds of aiptasia and didn't so much as look at any other coral. They now are munching happily on rods food and even flake.

After this great success I purchased another one of these little guys and added him to my SPS and LPS mixed reef. This particular individual wouldn't touch ANY aiptasia but sure as heck loved to dine on my acans! He now resides in my refugium until a new home can be found. Could it be I just got a bad apple?

assuming they're still alive a year later, i'd be curious to see how these two filefish would act if transposed. did you ever put the new(er) one in the softie tank and the original one in the mixed reef?