PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Tahisian butterfly

scunfcu
03/31/2011, 12:52 PM
I plan on getting a Tahisian butterfly fish in my 75 gallon mix reef with sps,lps and softies. Primary reason is Aptaisa control. On feeding Tahisian butterfly fish, would they accept flakes or pellets. I don't plan to do the frozen food thing. Any recommend brands of pellets or food?

snorvich
03/31/2011, 01:12 PM
The Tahitian Butterflyfish requires plenty of room to swim, and a peaceful community aquarium of 50 gallons or larger. It may be kept singly; if kept as a pair, both fish should be introduced to the aquarium at the same time.

Its diet should consist of chopped meats such as marine fish, crustacean meats, or mysis shrimp. A vitamin formula with the meaty foods such as Vitality may help keep the colors bright. I don't know if you will have much success feeding it flake and pellets.

In any case, it is not the ideal fish for aiptasia control. Based on what it eats, I doubt it will even touch aiptasia. Look at Raccoon Butterfly fish instead.

AuroraDrvr
03/31/2011, 07:11 PM
It's not really an Aiptasia eater. It may nibble, but doubt it will eat them enough to even consider it control. It may or may not eat corals (chances are yes).

I had a pair that accepted pellets just fine. You can't feed butterflies pellets as a staple (IMHO). But certainly supplementing is fine.

scunfcu
04/01/2011, 09:24 AM
So Racoon is better or CopperBand?

bradleyj
04/01/2011, 09:49 AM
You may want to look at a kleins also. They are also good for pest control.

scunfcu
04/01/2011, 09:52 AM
Just realized I have a beautiful Tube Anemone, afraid the butterfly will eat it.

snorvich
04/01/2011, 12:14 PM
Just realized I have a beautiful Tube Anemone, afraid the butterfly will eat it.

If they eat aiptasia feather dusters will be toast.

scunfcu
04/01/2011, 12:16 PM
Oh well, guess I have to still with chemicals treatment.