PDA

View Full Version : Sebae Anemone Wont Grab on

critofer
03/31/2011, 06:06 PM
Hey guys,

I bought a sebae anemone the other day. I brought It home and it has looked great and has shown no signs of stress other than the fact its sorta bleached.

It was at my LFS for a few weeks now and was thinking about buying it but gave it a week or two to see what it would do.

So I bought it, because I have had a few Condy Anemones bleached and I would just feed them mysis to get them back to good health.

Now, I got it home acclimated it and put it in my tank a few days ago. i read they like to be low in the tank so i cleared the sand away in an area so it would be on about half rock half sand.

I found him this morning b4 school on its face in the sand away from the spot I put it originally. Since I really didn't have anytime to do anything I cut the powerheads and only had the return running for flow and i flipped the anemone back over and put him back in the spot he was originally in. When I got home I examined the foot. It looks like it might have tears (I have never seen an anemones torn foot so i am guessing) It was normal but in some areas have this dark brown stuff that had a bunch of super tiny curls in it. I am guessing that is the anemones flesh. so I took him out of the sand and put him in a lid of a yogurt cut so his foot wouldnt be in sand.

I am running 4x36 T5H0 bulbs over a 40B tank w/29sump/fuge.

all of my levels are fine. I tried feeding it after i looked at its foot but it didn't eat. ( I am guessing because I was messing with it and it was freaked out)

Any Ideas? I can get a picture of the foot if needed.

I really like this anemone so all help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

Critofer

sporto0
03/31/2011, 06:21 PM
sebae's are kinda finnicky, it took a few of them before i got one that survived, the best advice i could give is let it find it's own home, once established it will be a great addition to your tank, clowns love em. good luck & i hope it works out for you, also the foot will repair itself if it survives.

critofer
03/31/2011, 06:38 PM
Yeah, Any tips on helping it survive? this is my first one and Ill take all the help and info I can get.

Thanks

Critofer

critofer
03/31/2011, 07:30 PM
Bump

Finkle
03/31/2011, 07:47 PM
Don't move him around. He will find a spot on his own. I feed mine mysis shrimp twice a week and he is happy.

on the spot
03/31/2011, 08:04 PM
Hey guys,

I bought a sebae anemone the other day. I brought It home and it has looked great and has shown no signs of stress other than the fact its sorta bleached.

Sort of bleached? How sort of? How white is it? Good luck with this. Don't name it.

Toddrtrex
03/31/2011, 09:10 PM
Would really like to see a picture of the foot -- for anemones that don't naturally split (( an H. Crispa being one that doesn't split )) damage to the foot can be a death sentence, add to the fact that it is "sorta bleached" doesn't help at all.

BSprite
04/01/2011, 12:25 AM
It was normal but in some areas have this dark brown stuff that had a bunch of super tiny curls in it. I am guessing that is the anemones flesh.

Sounds like it is starting to disintegrate.

Face down in the sand to most likely try to expose a messed up foot to current/can't use it to grab on.

Sucks terribly, happened to me.

I've heard of them recovering but in my experience that sebae is gone.

How long did you drip for? Sebaes especially need like 3-4 hours. They can explode from salinity differences.

Being bleached already is also bad for this particular anemone. They are fairly weak unless established.

Just from my experience.

critofer
04/01/2011, 04:23 AM
Hmm, well this doesn't sound like it will end well. For now it's just in the same spot i placed it. if it flips over again ill take a picture but for now i am not going to mess with it. Can I add anything to the water that will help it heal? I have heard about some stuff but forgot the name.

Toddrtrex
04/01/2011, 08:31 AM
Sounds like it is starting to disintegrate.

Face down in the sand to most likely try to expose a messed up foot to current/can't use it to grab on.

Sucks terribly, happened to me.

I've heard of them recovering but in my experience that sebae is gone.

How long did you drip for? Sebaes especially need like 3-4 hours. They can explode from salinity differences.

Being bleached already is also bad for this particular anemone. They are fairly weak unless established.

Just from my experience.

IMO/E 3-4 hours is way too long for a drip acclimation. In all my years of keeping anemones (( 15+ )) have never heard/seen of an anemone exploding.

BSprite
04/01/2011, 06:53 PM
IMO/E 3-4 hours is way too long for a drip acclimation. In all my years of keeping anemones (( 15+ )) have never heard/seen of an anemone exploding.

I'm just going on the side of safety, as tanks/stores can vary quite a bit from place to place.

Although you might not see it, the (exploding) part is generally at a cellular level. Anemones are fairly simply organisms and are very weak during osmotic pressure stabilization. Even a shift from 24 to 26 is quite severe to their makeup. As a reaction to introduction to a hyper/hyposaline solution it will begin purging to attempt and normalize its osmotic pressure. If you add it to the tank and it is floating, chances are it has not normalized. In the mesoglea especially, a lack of osmotic equalization can cause it to rupture and breakdown the gastrovascular column. If it suffers from a severe enough rupture then the outer lining breaks apart.

That's just my experience though.

I'm sure there are a hundred cases of people dripping for 10 minutes and being fine and some who drip for 3 hours and it dies. There are just so many variables between tanks and stores. I just go for as long as possible on something so sensitive as most reef nems in general.

Whatever works, keep doing it though. I am just as cautious as possible with living things.