PDA

View Full Version : How good would this work?

blownz281
03/31/2011, 07:24 PM
14gal Biocube -24watt pc bulbs. Would it make any difference if I added a 13watt 10,000K pc bulb? So that I had three bulbs? This little bulb is bright.

Also are nanotuners pc bulbs any good since the price is so cheap?

saltjohnswharf
03/31/2011, 09:20 PM
Adding another 13 watt lamp sure wouldn't hurt.

Cheap bulbs give cheap performance. There is a difference.

blownz281
04/01/2011, 06:34 AM
Thats what I figured. I'm only looking to keep shrooms,zoas,maybe some maxi mini carpets. Yes figured the bulbs wouldn't be too great! Thanks

saltjohnswharf
04/01/2011, 09:05 AM
It's good to be sure. Check hellolights.com they have great stuff. I have never regretted working with them.

Shrooms and zoas will do quite well under this light. Even some leathers but those grow too large.

blownz281
04/01/2011, 11:23 AM
could I get away with just using the two 24watt bulbs instead? never messed with a biocube before and had some pc over ten gallons before and all was well.

hebygb
04/01/2011, 12:48 PM
What you describe "may" be enough light... but I had a 150 watt MH over my 12 gallon cube and was really pleased.

jeff1974
04/01/2011, 09:26 PM
them bulbs from nanotuner is not bad i run them in my bio cube and get great growth and color and i do sps lps and softies i think thay are worh the money just my 2 cents :)

saltjohnswharf
04/01/2011, 10:34 PM
It is enough. 150 watts of halide is better but not necessary for your system. I run a 150 watt halide over my system and it is 20" deep. Crazy growth and color. PC is a great light for shallower and smaller tanks. More than just adequate.

I am not say nanotuners bulbs are bad. They just are not as good. Perhaps growth will be the same under both lamps but better bulbs, fired by better ballasts, keep their color longer and burn truer. If you were to set up two little BC's and run one with nanotuners and one with say Current USA's you would notice better growth under the Current's. It may take a few years but the difference would be quite large in that time. Are you in it for the long haul or just dabbling? Nothing wrong with dabbling but if you are in it for the long haul then you're going to shell out more money for what seems like the same as the cheap stuff. After a few years of experience you will know why saltwater costs a lot more than fresh.

Jabrams
04/01/2011, 10:50 PM
I have a 250de over my biocube14

I'm slightly crazy

Sent from my EVO 4g using Tapatalk

blownz281
04/02/2011, 06:39 AM
I love my T5's on my other tanks so haven't had much experience with pc's. Had some years ago on a ten gal reef from hellolights and they were decent. I'm just looking at replacing with the same bulbs coralife. Sounds like coralife is what I am looking for then. Pretty good lighting and good price. Just a tank to mess around with really. Just like I said shrooms,zoas,maybe some mini maxi carpets. I might just stick with the two 24 watters instead of adding the extra 13 watter I have.