View Full Version : I want/need a canopy

Netofficer3710
04/01/2011, 12:36 AM
http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab202/Netofficer3710/fish/DSC01485.jpg
here is my tank

I would like a canopy to prevent
A) jumpers
B) light from spilling out the sides so my lights are kinder to my eyes

would I be able to get a canopy or have one made without much hassle that will not require a new light fixture and will allow me to have things hanging on the back of the tank?

I am new to this so I have no idea how they work

Scott B
04/01/2011, 07:52 AM
It will not stop any jumpers, but will def. help with the light problem. And yes, you can have one made easy enough. it will just need to be set on a ledge or screwed to the top of your canopy.

Chris27
04/01/2011, 07:56 AM
What size tank is it? If it's anything under a 210, there are a number of pre-made ones from the different manufacturers. Or if you have some tools, you can build one yourself and save a great deal of money.

Sk8r
04/01/2011, 08:32 AM
Do this: a black laminate 'skin' 9" wide, cornered on the inside with soft-cheap pine 1x1, cut the width of that rim shorter than the rim itself, and with a picture-frame rim type rim around the top edge. Fits like a glove, supports your light kit by itself, and is completely open on top. Here's mine: that whole thick top is fake, and completely open.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f269/Sk8r10/januarytomove589.jpg

mcoomer
04/01/2011, 08:52 AM
If I were you, I'd get down to Home Depot (or pick your favorite) and buy the materials to build a screen. There's plenty of threads on here about how to build one so just hit the search button and allow the knowledge to flow in.

For the harsh light I'd simply get my hands on some very thin black acrylic or glass and fashion a shield to prevent the glare. It wouldn't be very hard to come up with a good looking shield to prevent glare and the black material would match your stand. Plus, canopies are normally ventilated to pull the heat from lighting out of the tank. An open top like your allows that heat to dissipate without the added noise of fans.

Mike

Netofficer3710
04/01/2011, 10:03 AM
It will not stop any jumpers, but will def. help with the light problem. And yes, you can have one made easy enough. it will just need to be set on a ledge or screwed to the top of your canopy.

I thought about that and I figure if I can cover the surface so it is not visible I can just use egg crate to stop jumpers

and this tank is a 60 Gal

midtownman
04/01/2011, 10:14 AM
Do this: a black laminate 'skin' 9" wide, cornered on the inside with soft-cheap pine 1x1, cut the width of that rim shorter than the rim itself, and with a picture-frame rim type rim around the top edge. Fits like a glove, supports your light kit by itself, and is completely open on top. Here's mine: that whole thick top is fake, and completely open.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f269/Sk8r10/januarytomove589.jpg

is that a 54 corner you have? cause i need a top just like that pls give me details how you did it if its not to much trouble thanks