PDA

View Full Version : glow in the dark specks?

Netofficer3710
04/01/2011, 10:14 AM
I went over to my tank last night before going to bed with ALL lights off getting ready to flashlight my rocks looking for weird stuff. once my eyes were adjusted to the dark I saw something weird...

there were tiny glowing specks all over my rock and my substrate!

I'm not talking about anything large or even very bright, but they were indeed glowing.

has anyone ever seen anything light this?

bnumair
04/01/2011, 10:17 AM
aliens from area fifty one escaped 3 nights ago. they might have made home in ur tank. lol,
but if u r serious then no i dont know what that would be.

bluezx636
04/01/2011, 10:55 AM
post pics

Gamepro_inc
04/01/2011, 11:00 AM
Bristle worms can have irradescent skin glowing like, I would flashlight the spot after and see what you can see. It may just be coraline or sponge I have a red sponge that grows in small specks in my tank and it glows under the Lunar light.

Netofficer3710
04/01/2011, 01:45 PM
lol there will be no pics, my camera will not be able to pick it up

CaptHook
04/01/2011, 05:21 PM
Im glad finally someone else posted about the "glowing" things in there tank.Awhile back I had the same thing going on and was amazed (at the least) at what I saw.These little specks glowed or blinked luminous green,but when I shined a flashlight on them they stopped.When I turned on the light to try to identify them somehow they werent there-or too transluesant to see...I know this sounds nuts..but..it happened..lol good luck in yr search for the answer on what they are,Im off to look for the Jersey devil:crazy1:

bertoni
04/01/2011, 05:26 PM
There are a lot of bioluminescent organisms in the ocean. :)

derek4real
04/01/2011, 10:31 PM
There are a lot of bioluminescent organisms in the ocean. :)

If you have some time watch these videos

http://blog.ted.com/2008/01/11/david_gallo/
http://www.ted.com/talks/edith_widder_glowing_life_in_an_underwater_world.html

Second one is good but a little long.

billdogg
04/02/2011, 06:23 AM
Bioluminesence (sp?) is one of the really cool things about a night dive. I like to turn off my dive light so that I am surrounded by darkness, and then wave my hands/kick with my fins to watch the light show. Congratulations on finding another weird thing in your tank!