PDA

View Full Version : New to saltwater fish, setting up a tank!

Belegul
04/01/2011, 12:25 PM
Hello all! I've been reading these forums for a few weeks, and thought I'd stop being a stranger and start posting.

Long story short: was in school (college, med school, residency) for way too damn long, and spent way too many years of my life without a hobby. I've had freshwater fish for the last two years, but now that I have more free time, I'm planning on setting up a saltwater tank. The wife wants a trigger and a puffer (those were the only stipulations I got, if I want to do the tank, she gets to have a trigger and a puffer. Without those, I don't get a tank :D )
So, I decided to set up a FOWLR.

I've spent many, many, many hours reading and learning about the hobby over the last two weeks, which has only spurred my interest further. Here's what I'm planning, and any advice/suggestions would be more than welcome!

1- Planning a 150 gallon 48x24x24 tank, with an undertank/in stand sump (is a 30 gallon sump big enough for that size tank, or should I plan on going larger? I feel like it should be larger, but am having trouble finding recommendations on sizes). The tank I'm looking at is a factory made, pre-drilled with 2 corner in tank overflows and predrilled returns.

2- was planning on a protein skimmer in the drainage area of the sump, and a heater in the return area of the sump. No refugium.

3- this tank is going in the living room of my house, which is above a walkout basement and so is, essentially, on the second story. I'm not worried about the weight for two reasons: (a) the floor beams are perpendicular to where the tank will sit, and more importantly, (b) the tank is actually going to be sitting directly ABOVE the load bearing wall in teh basement (we've got a little alcove with a window in it that sticks out from the main load bearing wall, but there's enough space to put the tank and stand in there, and it's a focal point of the house!).

Sorry for the wall of text; any advice would be welcome. I'm still in the planning stages so many things can still be changed, but I figured I'd ask the potentially stupid questions here, in advance, before I started the (large) investment of time and money setting this up!

-Matt

crobattt
04/01/2011, 01:06 PM
Sounds good, and welcome!

Remember for the sump, bigger is better, but a 30 gallon will be sufficient.

Sounds like your going to do an aggressive tank?

j4mypets
04/01/2011, 01:19 PM
Welcome to Reef Central- This site has a wealth of information and most people on here are very knowledgeable and give great advice. I have turned to them in a tight spot quite a few times.

The biggest thing I always suggest is to get the biggest tank you can, because without a doubt its never big enough. I have a 180 and have had it for 3 years and I want to go to a 340 or 400. The reason is for my fish. I have a porc puffer that has grown so quickly and he definately needs more space. Also the bigger the space, the less aggression problems you will have. I had to get rid of my Niger Trigger because everyone was afraid of him and would hide all the time. The minute he was out of there the other fish started coming out. Too bad too, I liked him.

What kind of trigger and puffer does your wife want? You might want to look at a tank at least 72" instead of the 48". They need the swimming room.

Also make sure you research all your fish before you get them. It is sooo easy to go to your LFS and see a fish and absolutely have to have it ( i have done it several times) then you realize it wasn't such a good purchase. And it is extremely difficult to catch fish to remove them, without pulling your whole tank apart. Come up with a fish list and post it and everyone will tell you what the best combinations are.

Good Luck!

Belegul
04/01/2011, 01:52 PM
Yes, an aggressive tank. Kinda forced into it by the fish "requirements!"

Wow, rapid feedback is awesome :)

The biggest thing I always suggest is to get the biggest tank you can, because without a doubt its never big enough. I have a 180 and have had it for 3 years and I want to go to a 340 or 400. The reason is for my fish. I have a porc puffer that has grown so quickly and he definately needs more space. Also the bigger the space, the less aggression problems you will have. I had to get rid of my Niger Trigger because everyone was afraid of him and would hide all the time. The minute he was out of there the other fish started coming out. Too bad too, I liked him.

I'd love as big a tank as possible; I'm also looking at 60 inch tanks; I'd put a 72 in in a heartbeat, but the alcove is only 71 inches wide :(

What kind of trigger and puffer does your wife want? You might want to look at a tank at least 72" instead of the 48". They need the swimming room.

My wife wants either a Humuhumu or a Clown trigger; I'm trying to steer her toward the Humu as I've read they are alot less confrontational than the clown. As far as a puffer, we're heading out to the LFS to look at them today. Thankfully, I have a pretty good one 10 minutes from my house (A World Of Fish in Minneapolis, MN). At least, they seem like a good store and have gotten good reviews!

Belegul
04/01/2011, 01:55 PM
Come up with a fish list and post it and everyone will tell you what the best combinations are.

Right now, the only fish that we "need" are the puffer and the trigger; I'm trying to be mindful of bioload on the tank when it's all done and stocked, so not trying to go to big. Other fish I was planning on:

1 small wrasse
2 Gobies
Eventually, an anemone and 2 "nemos" for my 4 year old son.

Wife thinks lionfish are awesome, but I've read that they'll get harassed and, possible, killed by the trigger and puffer, so she backed off that idea.

Really, those are the only fish that I'd planned on adding for quite awhile. Thoughts?

namxas
04/01/2011, 02:06 PM
FWIW, last time I checked, a 48" x 24" x 24" tank is 120 gals...if someone is telling you it's a 150, they're wrong (unless you mean 120 gal DT + 30 gal sump).

Personally, I like the shorter, wider setups, but I keep Scorpaeniformes, which aren't "pacers". However, I think you'd do OK with a bluejaw trigger in such a setup. As far as a puffer is concerned, you may want to consider a toby (Canthagaster sp.) as they stay on the smaller side. You need to make a tentative stocking plan and then match the tank dimensions to your proposed plan.

In terms of heater placement, the pump bay will be one of the smaller compartments of you sump, and for the volumes you're considering, I think you may have some trouble getting a heater of appropriate size into it. I'd consider keeping it in the "main" compartment of the sump instead.

Belegul
04/01/2011, 02:18 PM
Good advice on the heat pump, thanks. If I had a bigger sump, would a heater be more viable in the pump bay? I was hoping to not have an external pump, just a powerhead placed in the pump bay for a return pump. I'm gathering, however, that there may not be enough space unless I get a bigger sump.

Just jumped into my mind: proper clean up crew for an aggressive tank? Is there such a thing? I'm sure there's a thread here, and I'll go search for it, but just thought of that while I was typing this post so I thought I'd throw it in there.

<--- am excited! thanks for all the help, this seems like a great community!

namxas
04/01/2011, 04:36 PM
Actually, if you're going to use a submersible pump, depending on the pump, it may or may not add some heat to the water in the pump bay. I'm guessing you're probably considering a Mag 7 or 9.5 or a QO 3000 or 4000? IME, the QO's run a bit cooler for their output, but both manufacturers are solid pumps.

Another consideration with the heater in the pump bay is that your evaporation shows up in your pump bay, so as the water level decreases, there's a chance the heater could be exposed to the air and may fail in the "on" position (as I mentioned, it's easier to submerge heater in the main compartment of the sump).

Your CUC will be dependent on your stocking...a large puffer will pretty much eat any of your CUC, as will any non-planktonic feeding triggers. Anyhow, here's a good primer on selecting a CUC, just to give you an idea of some of the critters you can use:

Choosing Common CUC Critters (http://www.lionfishlair.com/cuc/cuc.shtml)

And just for fun, here's a collection of the types of fish we're keeping these days (each photo is "clickable" and opens up additional pix). You might get some inspiration...

Greg & Renee's Tanx (http://www.lionfishlair.com/gregandreneegallery/galleryfront.shtml)