PDA

View Full Version : Odd Clownfish behavior

Floowid
04/01/2011, 01:07 PM
I hate to use the word retarded, but it really seems to apply here. I saw the cutest little clownfish in a store about 6 months ago. He appears to be a perc, and has a really cool misbar that makes his biggest white stripe form a dot on his side.

So I bought him and took him home to my 75 gallon where I had a mature female hosting in a GBTA just waiting for a friend. They seemed to hit it off alright, never any fighting, and the occasional mating dance. But the new clownfish would not EVER come out of the front corner of the tank. I gave it time, and I began to wonder if it was someone else in the tank harassing him. So I brought him to work, where I have a 6 gallon nano sitting on my desk. It's just him and the firefish in there now, and that little turd will NOT come out of the front corner. He won't go near the rockwork, just spends all day burrowing as hard as he can into the front bottom or top corner of the tank.

Its clear he is hosting in the corner, and most of the day it looks like he is crammed in the corner. People stop by and ask me if he is "dying or something". He had a perfectly good anemone with a girlfriend in the tank at home, and several tantalizing options for hosts in the nano, but he wont leave the corner.

Has anyone else ever seen this? And if so, did your clown get out of the corner?

jestr
04/01/2011, 04:23 PM
My clowns did that when they made a nest for eggs I would get him back in the big tank and try to make some babies lol

antonio_mota
04/01/2011, 05:01 PM
Try to make him move from the corner towards the female you have in your big tank.
You must be gentle and persuasive,and maybe he will move near the female.
Try this very gently,like if you where grazing him with your hand,and try not to be very hard on him,but show definitely you are the master and he is the one who must obey.