PDA

View Full Version : 2 Acanthurus tangs in a tank? anyone done it?

geaux xman
04/01/2011, 03:32 PM
i know its not recommended, but i've seen quite a few tanks with 2 acanthurus tangs in tank.

i have a powder brown and would like to add a powder blue in a 180g.

comments?

sTefaniA
04/01/2011, 03:59 PM
I wouldn't risk it because your tank isn't large. I have an acanthurus achilles together with an acanthurus olivaceus, but they are not similar in body shape.

Rahul
04/01/2011, 03:59 PM
Man I'm struggling with that right now. Got a large achillies and a small powder blue hybrid. They hate each other. I've done it for 6 months but, now I'm pretty sure I'm gonna take one out. Really like both of them, so I don't know which one to take out??

You should be happy youve got a healthy PBT. It really ruins the peace having 2 of these in regular size tanks.

TampaReefer79
04/01/2011, 06:12 PM
i know its not recommended, but i've seen quite a few tanks with 2 acanthurus tangs in tank.

i have a powder brown and would like to add a powder blue in a 180g.

comments?

2 acanthurus in the same tank? Sure.

The 2 you want to do? Nope. lol

I tried a powder blue with a powder brown in a 210 and in a 180 - both different groups of fish. Added them together, same size etc etc. War zone. I've kept an orange shoulder with an atlantic blue, a mata with a mimic...and they both worked out well. I've never owned a sohal so I can't speak on them, but my mata tang was the MEANEST TANG I've ever owned. I mean this guy would attack and draw blood on ME. :lol2: God I hated working in that tank. It was only a 180, and he left the mimic alone...I think they both knew who was boss.

djze
04/01/2011, 07:13 PM
i wouldn't do it your powder brown is to well established and powder blues are very stressful if not acclimated properly your powder brown will just stress him out

Recty
04/01/2011, 07:15 PM
A lot of people do it.

I think the best thing to say is it isnt recommended. I'd never tell a person new to the hobby they should add two acanthurus or any two tangs to the same tank. However, an experienced hobbyist can probably easily get away with it, especially if you're willing to remove one tang if it doesnt work out and maybe try a different tang or at least a different size tang of the same species as was removed.

I've always had multiple tangs in my tanks, sometimes I had issues and I removed them as needed or juggled things around. I have a good relationship with my LFS so it's easy for me to move fish around.

My 210 I had a 10" dussumieri tang and a 3.5" achilles with absolutely no problems after the first week. The first week though the dussumieri would have killed the achilles if it could have. After that it just tolerated it, I never saw it chase it again though and the achilles didnt look nervous after it or flare it's fins when they were together so I figure they got things settled.

geaux xman
04/01/2011, 07:23 PM
heres a local forum guy's powder brown whipping up on a yellow tang. he had put them together at the same time and they did okay for 3 months. now the powder brown terrorizes the yellow tang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx9STyLiIQ4&feature=player_embedded

sanchoy
04/02/2011, 11:41 AM
It can be done.

I have:
Sohal,Achilles,Blue hippo,Purple,Tomini,Yellow,Sailfin,Horse shoe, all residing in same tank, A few skirmishes but nothing to be concern about. IMO i think 2 tangs in one tank will fight more, then multiple tangs because you have to spread the aggression.

Keeping them well fed is also a good thing, i feed mine nori alot per day.

SaltwaterAdict
04/02/2011, 11:55 AM
I wouldn't. People get concerned about adding a single powder blue or a single powder brown to a tank our size! I wouldn't want to upset the balance, not worth the risk.

SaltwaterAdict
04/02/2011, 11:56 AM
A lot of people do it.

I think the best thing to say is it isnt recommended. I'd never tell a person new to the hobby they should add two acanthurus or any two tangs to the same tank. However, an experienced hobbyist can probably easily get away with it, especially if you're willing to remove one tang if it doesnt work out and maybe try a different tang or at least a different size tang of the same species as was removed.

I've always had multiple tangs in my tanks, sometimes I had issues and I removed them as needed or juggled things around. I have a good relationship with my LFS so it's easy for me to move fish around.

My 210 I had a 10" dussumieri tang and a 3.5" achilles with absolutely no problems after the first week. The first week though the dussumieri would have killed the achilles if it could have. After that it just tolerated it, I never saw it chase it again though and the achilles didnt look nervous after it or flare it's fins when they were together so I figure they got things settled.

I don't think this is common. :wave:

SaltwaterAdict
04/02/2011, 11:57 AM
2 acanthurus in the same tank? Sure.

The 2 you want to do? Nope. lol

I tried a powder blue with a powder brown in a 210 and in a 180 - both different groups of fish. Added them together, same size etc etc. War zone. I've kept an orange shoulder with an atlantic blue, a mata with a mimic...and they both worked out well. I've never owned a sohal so I can't speak on them, but my mata tang was the MEANEST TANG I've ever owned. I mean this guy would attack and draw blood on ME. :lol2: God I hated working in that tank. It was only a 180, and he left the mimic alone...I think they both knew who was boss.

+1 I'd go with another tang selection. The same body shape would spill trouble.

AfricaOffroad
04/02/2011, 12:53 PM
Have a large Powder Brown in my QT (100G). Dropped a small powder blue in there, the former tang hardly even acknowledged it.

Recty
04/02/2011, 02:05 PM
I don't think this is common. :wave:

Actually, most 200+ gallon tanks I read about on Reef Central have AT LEAST two tangs, most have a couple more.

scchase
04/02/2011, 07:29 PM
I divide the Acanthurus sp up into differnt groups which I have found work well for mixing them in large tanks. First are the round bodied ones such as Powder blue/brown, achilles and such tend to be more rock oriented, second the longer bodied ones such as clowns, orange shoulders, and sohals (all tend to be very agressive), and then finally are the short scalpeled varites which tend to be schoolers in the wild and super peaceful, Convicts and the mimic tangs. I dont generally mix them from the same groups even in large tanks but have found that selecting from the differnt psuedo groups I made has a much better shot at success.