PDA

View Full Version : Sump and pump Question

enzo0000
04/02/2011, 08:49 AM
2 questions here.

Im in the process of building a sump (first time using a sump)and setting up a new system. Tank is a 50g (36x18x17) with a 40g (36x18x13) breeder as a sump.

First question....what diameter of PVC should I use for both drain and return pipes? would using 1" on both be ok?

Second question....What type of pump should I use? I plan on having both soft and hard corals if that makes a difference.

Cheers

wilky9393
04/02/2011, 03:42 PM
1.5 inch to inlet. You want to make sure the pump has a good feed. Supply can go 1 inch. I think a blueline 55 will give you the turn over you need plus enough pressure to upgrade. Champion lighting has the blueline pumps. 1200 gph pressure rated.

pkirby
04/02/2011, 04:10 PM
Is your main tank not pre-drilled? If it's pre-drilled, then obviously your overflow and return lines are already defined. If you are drilling the tank, you could set it up however you want I guess... On my 75 gallon AGA, which was pre-drilled, the overflow line is 1" inside diameter and the return line is 3/4" inside diameter. I am using a Mag Drive 7 as my return pump, which is plenty. it's a submersible pump that can also be ran as an external pump like the blueline 55. Another excellent brand of return pump is eheim. I'd check out bigalsonline(dot)com since they have some great prices