PDA

View Full Version : Overflow and pump options

Clancaster23
04/02/2011, 09:13 AM
Ok, I have this sump: http://www.petshopusa.com/rnrdst4265.html?mr:trackingCode=30C602CB-313A-E011-8262-001B2163195C&mr:referralID=NA

This is going on my 75 gallon reef. I am looking for recommendations on overflow box size and return pump size. The sump is for a 200 gallon tank but I got it for free so I couldn't pass it up. Or should I just try to sell it and get something closer to the needs of my 75 gallon?

If I do keep it, do I need to use a dual outlet overflow meaning do I need to use both intakes on the sump?

reefknight
04/02/2011, 09:29 AM
I don't see why you couldn't use it with a few caveats. First ditch the bio balls if any are present. You'd be better off using live rock, same goes for that pre filter. They'll hold waste(NO3 & PO4) and bring down your water quality. As long as you can fit your skimmer in the final chamber and have room for your return pump, you're good. You do not have to use both of the intakes, just plug one.

I take it that your tank is not drilled (internal overflow), so you need an external overflow box. If thats the case look for a LifeReef overflow, as they are about the best out there. A single 1" drain will work, in theory it'll drain about 600gph. Again thats in theory. Since I haven't used one, I can't testify to its rate of flow. Closely match up your return pump to that amount of flow.

Are you wanting an external or internal return pump? External, I like the Pan World/Blue Line pumps. I have a 5+ yr old on a tank(30gal cube) and its pretty quiet, adds minor amounts of heat, a degree or so. I've also ran Ehiem's internal, quiet, low to no heat and built to last. All depends on what you're looking to spend.

HTH

sjm817
04/02/2011, 09:47 AM
Drill the tank (its not hard). You can get a nice complete kit with everything you need from www.glass-holes.com

Clancaster23
04/02/2011, 09:53 AM
Replacing the bioballs is the plan. I was already told to replace them with live rock and chaeto. My tank is not drilled. That last chamber on the right is pretty large but I'm not sure the water level will be high enough to use the skimmer in it. Either way I go, basically right around 600 gph on the overflow and pump is the range I am looking for?

Clancaster23
04/02/2011, 09:57 AM
I am looking into getting a new tank to replace this one since it has a couple scratches that I don't like and I may drill that one (if it isn't already), but I'm not about to dismantle this tank just to drill holes in it. What I may do is get the tank (probably cheaper than an overflow) and just look into the return pump.