PDA

View Full Version : 2 tangs in 125 gallon

zachk
04/02/2011, 12:18 PM
I currently have a Purple Tang and Mimic Tang residing in separate 75 gallon tanks. I'm acquiring a 125 gallon tank on the cheap and was wondering if the 2 could eventually be placed in the new tank. If you feel it is too risky, would a Purple and Tomini or Chevron work? The other inhabitants would likely be 2 Bannerfish, a Yellowheaded Wrasse( H. garnoti), a Cherub Angel, and Orange Skunk Clownfish pair.

Any opinions would be appreciated!

mark54321
04/02/2011, 12:26 PM
I have purple and tomini in 120,no fighting at all.

MR HONDA
04/02/2011, 07:49 PM
I think you will be fine i have 6 tangs in a 265 for over a year now purple/yellow salfin/naso/hippo and vlamingi no problems only problem with tangs they get big fast i will be setting a 600 gallon up in a few months.

Paulca916
04/02/2011, 08:07 PM
I have a Purple and a Sohal tang in a 120 four fout wide reef.
Only time they misbehave is when I come near tank to feed other than that for the last year they have tolerated each other.

I think if you add a third they mellow out a little more maybe it confusses them.

Rebel
04/02/2011, 08:29 PM
One thing I did with my 125 (when I had one) was to build a center island. There were three "piles" of rocks--a low one left, a relatively high one right, and a large island in the middle. This created different zones for the fish--separating the two sides of the tank so that the fish could have some refuge from each other. I had a foxface and a powder blue. The powder blue could swim end to end (as it did--wish I could have had 8'-10' for it!) while the foxface could use one half or the other as its territory.

Think about aquascaping with fish, as well as corals, in mind.

travis32
04/03/2011, 08:27 AM
I will soon have a Bristletooth and Powder brown tang in the same tank. They should be fine together. The Bristletooth is still pretty small, and the powder brown is going nuts in my 29g QT. It had ich in the first 3 days, so It's just coming out of hypo 5 weeks later. No signs of ich. Damaged patches of skin where the ich was...

Once introduced I'm hoping the two tangs get along. They should. I would think you'll be fine.

MrTuskfish
04/03/2011, 10:59 AM
I currently have a Purple Tang and Mimic Tang residing in separate 75 gallon tanks. I'm acquiring a 125 gallon tank on the cheap and was wondering if the 2 could eventually be placed in the new tank. If you feel it is too risky, would a Purple and Tomini or Chevron work? The other inhabitants would likely be 2 Bannerfish, a Yellowheaded Wrasse( H. garnoti), a Cherub Angel, and Orange Skunk Clownfish pair.

A real "individual fish' question. I think odds go up if you introduce them at the same time. Expect some squabbles until the pecking order is established. IME, many tangs lose much of their aggression when moved to a new tank.

125G Reefer
04/03/2011, 05:09 PM

Your pretty much safe.:)

reefergeorge
04/03/2011, 05:40 PM
I was worried about adding a purple tang in with my sailfin, but so far so good. Add them all at the same time fot the best chance.