PDA

View Full Version : Whats more important, refugium or carbon/GFO?

Crustman
04/02/2011, 02:13 PM
Got some space problems and wonder if I need to run carbon and GFO or just dedicate this sump space to refugium. GFO is expensive also. Thanks

shifty51008
04/02/2011, 02:24 PM
IMO I would go with the carbon and gfo filters. you can regenerate GFO to help with costs just takes time to do it.

billdogg
04/02/2011, 04:49 PM
if you put them in reactors, you will still have room for a fuge. If space is at a premium, go with a tlf 150 or 2. you can run it off a minijet 400 and hang it off the ouside of the sump

bertoni
04/02/2011, 07:41 PM
If I had to choose, I'd run the carbon, and maybe the GFO, if algal growth was a problem.

WhoDey64
04/02/2011, 10:44 PM
If I had to choose, I'd run the carbon, and maybe the GFO, if algal growth was a problem.

Agreed, as for the cost of GFO I highly highly highly suggest looking at bulk reef supply a sponsor here on reef central, they have the most reasonably priced GFO around, not like buying gold dust and it does the job.

www.bulkreefsupply.com

busterr
04/03/2011, 10:10 AM
I would say Robert is right brs has a good price on there reactors easy to use and clean if you have the room get them and use the sump I always try to use a sump if the room is there

potterjon
04/04/2011, 08:41 AM
My brs reactor hangs attached to the stand underneath. The pumps are in the sump but it is a maxijet 1200 and hardly takes up any room at all. You can have all of the above.
:)

Palting
04/04/2011, 09:35 AM
IMO I would go with the carbon and gfo filters. you can regenerate GFO to help with costs just takes time to do it.

Agreed, as for the cost of GFO I highly highly highly suggest looking at bulk reef supply a sponsor here on reef central, they have the most reasonably priced GFO around, not like buying gold dust and it does the job.

www.bulkreefsupply.com

I would say Robert is right brs has a good price on there reactors easy to use and clean if you have the room get them and use the sump I always try to use a sump if the room is there

Interesting that you guys think a GFO is better than a refugium. I would think the refugium would be a better deal, since it will help with nitrates as well as the phosphates if you have good macroalgae growth in there, and certainly cheaper.

However, I am a noob, and am open to learn. I have both a reactor with GFO from BRS, as well as a 20 gal refugium with a DSB stocked with macroalgae. If I were to get rid of one, which would it be? Why do you guys think GFO in a reactor is better than a refugium for algae, phospate control?

Chris27
04/04/2011, 09:52 AM
I differ from the rest of the pack in that I prefer a tank a tank that operates more closely to how mother nature intended it.....that said....a well running refugium would be my choice.

GFO surely strips the phosphate from the water column quickly, but it does nothing for nitrate. Carbon again, does little for phosphate or nitrate, but does help keep toxins at bay, and polishes the water rather well.

A refugium on the other hand, lends itself very well to nutrient export, while adding a great bit of biodiversity to the tank. When packed with macroalgea and a DSB, it's 24/7 nutrient control when lit well and pruned often.

mcoomer
04/04/2011, 10:39 AM
I think billdog nailed it earlier with his suggestion. I run carbon and GFO in BRS reactors that I mounted to the side of the sump. I also mounted the MJ1200's to the side using magnetic mounts. That keeps the center open so that I could easily drop some rock and macro algae in there to start a refugium. I have a dedicated compartment in my sump but if I needed to I could run it in the same compartment that my reactors are in.

Mike

Sk8r
04/04/2011, 10:40 AM
You get a lot of benefits from the fuge. Food, oxygenation, waste processing, additional sandbed, additional rock, plus uptake of nitrates and phosphates.

briankmarsh1980
04/04/2011, 10:57 AM
I say get both I have a fuge and a BRS dual reactor and its plumbed right off my return so it has no foot print in the sump

Palting
04/04/2011, 11:20 AM
LOL! You guys are cheating! ;). The question was, chose one, and why!

tmz
04/04/2011, 12:10 PM
I do all three and a few other things.
A fuge with macro algae can be very effective but it has to have a large footprint and good lighting to effect enough PO4/NO3 reduction if that is the primary effect intended. It also serves as habitat for pods and such. It will add O2 via photosynthesis and can help nightime hypoxia in a reef tank if it is run on an opposite photoperiod.

Granualted Activated Carbon (gac) will remove some organics before they degrade to dissolved organic carbon, dissolved nitrogen(ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) and inorganic phosphate (PO4, etc). It is a good choice since it helps keep organics low especially those that tint the water.

GFO works very well on PO4 and a few other things.

So the choice depends on your space ,lighting ,prefernces and the type of aquarium your are keeping and what's in it and what you are trying to accomplish They all work in the right situations and do different things and can be used together if balanced but the choice is yours.